So She Wanted Me To Move The Cake.....(Long Vent)

Decorating By AmyCakes2 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm by AmyCakes2

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 17

Just got back from from setting up a five tiered wedding cake for a friend of mine's neice (it should be the first pic in my pictures). I get to the hotel and they are still setting the room up - chairs everywhere, etc. I ask where the cake table is, and they are using it to clean off the mirrors that are going on the other tables, etc. Yeah! So, my hubby & I carry everything in and I still have to wait a few minutes for the gal to move her stuff....but I'm in no hurry, am I??!! There's a satin-type material tablecloth on this round table (cake has to go in the middle - whooo-hooo!) which made it fun to move around a put the borders on. I get the cake all together and am putting the first gumpaste bow on when this lady comes up to me and tells me we need to move the cake so they can fix the table cloth. I asked if she was serious (hoping she was just kidding with me) - well, she wasn't! Then it went to - "Oh, we need to move it completely off the table so we can put a liner underneath..." as "spots from the table" were showing through. I told her "This should have been done awhile ago." and "I can't move that cake." To which she replied - "Oh we should just be able to slide it to another table and then we can slide it right back!" WHAT????????? icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif (Did I mention the wedding was only a 1/2 an hour from starting??) I was not happy to say the least. So she gets the cake board and starts "wiggling" it to the edge of the table - meanwhile the cake is wiggling, too! Two other people with her finally told her it should just stay as is, so we fixed the table cloth and the cake and I finished putting the decorations on. I"m just hoping it's still standing (as it wanted to "lean" a little in the first place!) and will be emailing my friend to let her know what happened incase there is trouble with the cake!
Mental note - make sure the cake table is COMPLETELY how it is suppose to be BEFORE setting up the cake. This is the FIRST time in 16 years of doing cakes I've ever had something happen like this!
Thanks for listening!

16 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 17

Aw hunny, I would have told her EXACTLY and in NO UNCERTAIN terms to where she could move that cake!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 17

Oh me too.. ((hugs)) That sucks. I make it certain that no one touches the cake (at least until I leave ad it's no longer my problem).

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 17

had that happen to me too.... i found out afterward from the photographer (she agreed to get me a copy of her photo for my book) that they not only moved my cake, but took it apart to move it across the room!!!! are these folks crazy? this photo is before they decided to move it. there are two side cakes- one is for the groom and his new step-daughter (a mini-bride/flower girl) to cut and the other was for the bride and groom alone to eat throughout the night.
LL

AmyCakes2 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 17

What a pretty cake, Jill! You KNOW it's simple to move them around...don't you???!!!!!
I just can't believe she thot we could "just pick it up and move it"! I kept telling her that I didn't feel comfortable with moving it....and it was falling on deaf ears!! Grrrr.....hopefully it all went well and I'll talk to my friend next week.
Thanks all!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Aw hunny, I would have told her EXACTLY and in NO UNCERTAIN terms to where she could move that cake!!!!

Amen sista!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't at this particular wedding but my supv tells me the story of the family asking her if she would move the wedding cake that was not made by us. Of course, she said no way! This cake was also on a fountain! Seems there was some special table (family heirloom?) they wanted the cake on and the person bringing the table just casually strolled in with it AFTER the wedding! Just when the he** did they expect this cake lady to set up her cake if they had the table with them in the church during the wedding? icon_surprised.gif They asked my staff 2-3 times to move the cake and each time, my supv told them to call the cake lady who made it if they needed it moved......we were NOT touching it!

This wedding was a nightmare anyway .... it's not only a whole 'nuther thread, but a full Jerry SPringer episode! icon_eek.gif

AmyCakes2 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 17

Unfortunately, TV has made it seem like one person can move a cake with no problem!! They aren't heavy....what's our problem??!!

AmyCakes2 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 17

And while I was making dinner tonight...I was thinking what I SHOULD have told her was what would she rather the bride complain about - the spots that could be seen under that tablecloth or no cake becuz she HAD to move it to fix the tablecloth!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyCakes2

And while I was making dinner tonight...I was thinking what I SHOULD have told her was what would she rather the bride complain about - the spots that could be seen under that tablecloth or no cake becuz she HAD to move it to fix the tablecloth!

Whoa! Good one!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 17

Why are you all so upset? I mean....it's only CAKE, Right? It shouldn't be hard at all to move. I think you are all over reacting!..........................NOT! LOL

Beth in KY

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #11 of 17

I cant believe that they wanted to move the cake its a beautiful cake just where it is some people are just controlling and crazy!!!

AmyCakes2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #12 of 17

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from my friend how it all went. I briefly told her what happened in an email. So we'll see!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #13 of 17

beautiful cake.. i'm curious how it looked....... After icon_biggrin.gif

AmyCakes2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

beautiful cake.. i'm curious how it looked....... After icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks! Me too...still waiting to hear......

AmyCakes2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 17

Well, am still waiting on other info, but what I DID find out was the following:
1) It was "leaning" when they came in, altho my friend didn't think the bride noticed, however, other people did!
2) The anniversary cake is "missing" - seems that the servers took the second tier (key lime) and gave THAT as the anniversary - thus the key lime never got served to them.
3) The bride's mother is making a phone call to complain about the missing cake and my incident.

I told my friend I felt so bad about it all! Her sister (bride's mom) told her to tell me not to worry about it, everything was nice and tasted good, but she may have me make another top cake for them. I said I would, of course!
I just can't believe some of these caterers these days. My MIL did this for years, and I helped. I'd never THINK of doing what some of these people do.
Oh well.....

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #16 of 17

So did you ever hear from the bride? What a horrible ordeal! I can't believe they wanted you to move it and then took the anniversary cake. ?? I hope they get compensation from the catering company.

AmyCakes2 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, I heard back from the bride's mom - here the catering staff cut the anniversary cake and served it - and then left the Key Lime cake un-cut and tried to pass that off as the anniversary cake! Soooo, I'm apparently going to be getting a check from the hotel to re-do the anniversary tier.
I realize mistakes happen....but not to tell someone about it and try to pass off another cake for the top tier - especially when it's another flavor....AND when I gave them a list of each tier and flavor....
They apparently tried to rush the bride into cutting the cake becuz it was "leaning". She told them NO, she wasn't ready to cut it yet. While it survived, it still makes it look bad on me becuz no one knows the whole story behind it all. The family now knows and realizes it wasn't all my fault, but I don't know I'll get too many new cake orders from this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%