Professional Advice, Please!

Decorating By ladycake17 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm by kakeladi

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

I have a 4 tiered fondant covered wedding cake for this coming weekend, I am a little nervous about the fondant. I want to make sure my cakes are firm enough to hold the fondant but not lose the moistness or the flavor. I use regular cake mixes, can anyone tell me what to do to help make the cake more firm? I have sugarshacks fondant DVD and I've watched it several times and I love that it has helped me so much. Now I want to make sure my cakes turn out wonderful!!

5 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

I would say that the most important part of your cake is to make sure the layers are properly supported. That way the fondant won't pucker or sag.

Don't make your fondant too thick, that adds extra weight and could pull apart a softer cake.

Make sure to thouroughly bake the cake. Don't over bake or underbake.

If you are concerned about moistness add 1 jello instant pudding cup (the premade kind) to one box of mix. Whatever flavor is closest to the cake flavor. Though vanilla always works.

Best of Luck!

I am not a professional, but I did work at a professional cake shop (running the front end) and was always asking questions, and watching our brilliant decorators.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

You can also brush the tops and sides of your baked cakes (once cooled) with simple syrup for moistness. That would be equal parts water and sugar. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 6

use a doctored mix to make sure the cake itself is firm enough to hold up under the fondant. I use the WASC and durable cake recipes from this site.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 6

I am a box mix baker (Pillsbury). Can't vouche for any other brand. I use fondant all the time with no problems.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1071613.html
That is one of the largest fondant covered cakes I have done.

Jibbies

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 6

"regular" cakes made from box mixes, especially if they are doctored will be fine for covering fondant. My *original* WASC recipe is perfect for this application.
Roll your fondant 1/4" thick - a cake board is the perfect heigth OR you can get bands that will go on your rolling pin that will hold it up off the table different heigths.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%