2 Part Question - Reinflating Air Bubble And What To Do?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 5

So, I did this wedding cake today (Lisa's cake in my gallery). I had it almost completed and was putting on the flowers when I noticed a huge air bubble on the bottom tier (left hand side towards the back). I mean big, like 2 inches high and 4 inches long. So I used a pin, deflated it, smoothed it out as must as possible (fondant-Satin Ice- had already set up so I didn't want to crack it anymore). No problem.

Went out to start my van to let it cool down (30C here today) gather up equipment, etc. Came back in....and the air bubble was back!!! So, deflated it again (in 2 spots), smoothed it, etc. Loaded up and got to the venue (about 45 min drive)......and the air bubble was back again. Deflated it again...blah blah. Now, the fondant was cracked in a number of place from all the deflating so I fixed it as much as I could using RI to fill the cracks, but could still see that there was some damage to that side.

So my questions are 1. what in the world am I doing wrong and 2. should I mention this to the bride or leave it along and see if she calls me about it? (my hubby says that I am too much of a perfectionist and that I should just leave it alone)

Any suggestions?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry no one has been able to answer youicon_sad.gif
I'll take your #2 ? first: Forget about telling the b ride. All of us from time to time have some kind of problem that no one else ever notices! I have had the same thing happen w/both b'cream & fondant.
Most people think it is caused by not smoothing the icing hard enough against the cake allowing it to trap air, but I'm not 100% sure about that icon_smile.gif

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 5

Ok it HAS to be our area I had the exact same problem with my cake yesterday. I really think the humidity is the scoundrel! I generally don't have any problems with my fondant, however, both serious drooping of the icing and big returning air bubbles! What the Heck?! So I really think the altimeter is not our friend up here (WNY) I did use Satin Ice also I guess it could play a roll but I'm bettin the weather, anyone else up here having the same problem????

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 5

Nah, it's not regional. It's a universal problem. icon_smile.gif

I had the same thing happen to a cake that went out on Friday. I did the cake on Thursday and on Friday, right before the client was supposed to show up, I saw the same problem you described right in the front of the dang cake. I tried deflating and smoothing it back but it wouldn't stay flat, so I had to remove one of the stripes, do some minor surgery, and then replace the stripe.

It's as if the air bubble caused the buttercream to crust while the fondant was separated and the fondant just wouldn't re-adhere to the buttercream.

It sure sucks when that happens!

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your responses....I thought I was going to lose my mind on Saturday! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having this type of problem. I haven't heard anything from the bride....and she was one of those brides that would definitely call if she had something to say about it! Anyway, thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%