First Wedding Cake!!!!

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm by mbelgard

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #31 of 41

The OP asked for comments to be made on the cake. She stated that the bride loved it. Unfortunately this has become a bash the topper thread. Lets get back to what the OP wanted, comments on the cake. Someone could start another thread on discussing/bashing cake toppers.

Jibbies

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

You're only 15? Well, here's the new Collette coming up!

I personally hate toppers, but it's the brides cake! I made a cake with a tacky topper last weekend. The bride's friend added the topper herself and it ended up falling over and crushing the top tier. Not my problem, but I did end up going to fix it for her. It wasn't the bride's fault and I felt badly for her, but I should have charged a fee. The bride's dad told me that he was wishing that the topper broke when it fell because he hated it, too!

This reminded me of my first wedding cake, not only did thet bring me a really tacky plastic topper (after I already had a gumpaste bow made and pearlized) so I had to put the plastic thing on the side by my beautiful gp roses, but they brought me black ribbon that was a little wider than the sample (light blue) ribbon that was going to be used originally...really odd...I just took a pic of the cake without the ugly stuff to put in my portfolio and then added it to her cake for her special day, and she was sooo happy it was great!

By the way I looked at the OP cake and looks even prettier to me this morning, some day I will have the b--lls to try the lace, it is really pretty.

rs3560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rs3560 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #33 of 41

I forgot to add to my post I think your cake is awesome! My first cakes were horrible...pailed in comparison to yours. lol You have a natural talent, don't waste it...keep up the good work!!!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #34 of 41

Mandygirlxoxo, I hope all this about the topper does not discourages you. You did a wonderful job. We all get some strange requests at times. Take my 1st wedding cake I made gumpaste lillies took a long time to do. the cake was pretty until the blue blossoms all over I think white would have been better or pearls even the blue took away from the lillies you can make suggestion but in the end it is the brides decision after all she is paying you to do what she wants. I hope to see more of your cakes. You got talent!

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

...personally if I wanted a topper on my wedding cake and the person I was going to HIRE, told me NO, I'd find another baker.

jules1719--would you eat at a restaurant where the waiter told you NO pie for you--you're too fat and it's just tacky for fatties to eat pie?

I think not---

Your logic is faulty. I practice what I preach and my work is better for it. I firmly and consistently guide my clients away from the Wilton horror show.

It's not about bashing the topper or being "harsh". I laugh at all you who hate the toppers and allow their use anyway.

Here's what the OP needs to learn from me, IMHO, it's OK to say no to a bride, but have 10 other suggestions before you do so. The difference between being a decorator and a designer is you can't be afraid to let some of the work walk. (Spare me argument on this point please) At 15, it's not too early to improve on a cake that is this close ---> <--- to excellent. It's constructive criticism whether you think so or not.

I routinely work around toppers and haven't lost a lick of business by doing so. The hysteria ( and it is hysteria) surrounding "the customer is always right" is laughable. Maybe OP needs to hear an opposing view point. I suggest a quick internet search of all the successful cake designers out there and tally just how many use resin toppers.

OP did a great job. The cake would have been light years better had there been no topper or if the cake had been designed around it.

I won't hijack this thread any longer. Peace.

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #36 of 41

Well done on your wedding cake icon_smile.gif

I say, do whatever the customer asks. Just take a picture before the topper gets added lol icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

...personally if I wanted a topper on my wedding cake and the person I was going to HIRE, told me NO, I'd find another baker.

jules1719--would you eat at a restaurant where the waiter told you NO pie for you--you're too fat and it's just tacky for fatties to eat pie?

I think not---

I wish the waiter would tell me no Pie! hahahahaha!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #38 of 41

(Leans over and whispers to the next person..)

Don't you love people who post messages just to make trouble? Especailly those who post no information about themselves?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #39 of 41

While I have actually seen one of Jules' cakes on another thread--gorgeous--this person has great talent, and while I love Jules' signature line--I can't shake the feeling that Jules is really, really (please, don't take offense anyone) young!!!!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #40 of 41

Congratulations on your first wedding cake!!! You did an amazing job! It's gorgeous!

You are on your way! icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriasCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

great job! You have a natural talent for this (wish I did)
The topper doesn't go with your beautiful cake, but we all know you can't help that. It's what the couple wanted.
Once again, great job.

You know what, I'm a little tired of this attitude. That cake stopped being great when that topper was placed on it. If you sell cakes, you have a duty to the design AND to the client. So, yes the client requested that topper, but you did have a choice.

Push yourself creatively to put an end to those tacky toppers. The client isn't always right, and whether you sell $1.50 per serving cakes or $15.00 per serving cakes, your professionalism is at stake.

At the very least, the cake should have been designed around the topper instead of marrying (a pun!) two incongruous elements.

I hate that some carebears will only tell you "great job" but the reality is: those tacky toppers must die.

I realize you may be a home baker, but you are very talented.

I suggest:

1) design a cake that needs no topper
2) offer to place the ceramic thingy on a separate small cake for display next to your masterpiece
3) design a topper yourself
4) design around the topper... it's too much whimsy on a otherwise elegant cake
5) above all, have the balls to tell your client that a ceramic topper is hardly ever appropriate. It's not 1950.

IMHO

What the?????

The bride will do whatever the heck she wants to do with HER cake! She did a fantastic job no matter what the bride chose to put on it. Tacky to some is really nice to others....to each his/her own. Why get all worked up over it?

And I personally find it far tackier to get worked up over something like a topper.

The cake was beautiful and I think those toppers are funny. They might not be what I would put on my cake but there is nothing wrong with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%