Question About Mff! Help! :s

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm by all4cake

MeMo07 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

I was planning on making Michele Foster's Fondant today for my sisters Doll cake- I have 5 lbs of Satin Ice (Which I've never used before :S) to do the dress with, but since I was doing an extra layer to the dress, I figure I will need more than the 72 ounces the wilton instructions call for (Which still seems like alot!)

The issue is that I didn't know it needed to sit for 24 hours before using it- this cake needs to be done in like, 26 hours! lol. Is it usable before the 24 hours? Or is it necessary to wait that long? Thanks...icon_smile.gif

9 replies
MnSnow Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 10

There's a recipe for jello fondant in the recipe section. You can use plain gelatin in place of jello. It only needs to rest for an hour before you can use it. Maybe try that

MeMo07 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

There's a recipe for jello fondant in the recipe section. You can use plain gelatin in place of jello. It only needs to rest for an hour before you can use it. Maybe try that

Hmmmm...do you mean plain jello in the place of gelatin? I don' t have any of that...I really don't wanna have to use Wilton either, LOL.

Pghnana Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 10

How close is the jello fondant in texture and how it goes on a cake compared to Satin Ice and Pettinice?

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 10

Isn't MMf closer in texture? It's super easy to make and usable in a couple hours.

MeMo07 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 10

Maybe I'll try the MMF then.....:S

I've only worked with MFF once, so I guess it won't be too big of an adjustment, lol.

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 10

Can you tell me what the diference is between MMF and the kind you wanted to use texture, elastability and taste wise? I have only tried wilton's-GROSS!!!! and MMF which I have flavored up the waazoo and added 1/4 salt to balance the sweetness and it is pretty good and so far everyone actually eats it. My kids beg for some while I am making it and try to snag more while I am not looking..lol My favorite flavor combo is a mix of vanilla, butter and cream.

MeMo07 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Can you tell me what the diference is between MMF and the kind you wanted to use texture, elastability and taste wise? I have only tried wilton's-GROSS!!!! and MMF which I have flavored up the waazoo and added 1/4 salt to balance the sweetness and it is pretty good and so far everyone actually eats it. My kids beg for some while I am making it and try to snag more while I am not looking..lol My favorite flavor combo is a mix of vanilla, butter and cream.

I have no idea, this will only be my third time working with fondant at all...

If the cake even turns out. Already the top is burnt and the middle isn't done. I followed the instructions exactly.....it didn't even come up to the top of the pan.....I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

ooh dear..I alwasy bake in a 310 to 320 oven for a bit longer and i try not to bake too thick..It is nice to be able to tort but the overdone edges are my issue unless I bake in my coveted air-bake pan. Someone told me if you have a thick layer or large area in a character pan to use a metal flower nail as a heating core to speed up that area before the rest gets overdone.

all4cake Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 10

5 lbs does seem like quite a lot even with an extra tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%