Cakes Without Wheat Flour....alergic To Gluten

Decorating By kmcguire Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:52am by ceshell

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 10

My wife has celiac disease and is therefore allergic to gluten which is found in wheat, barley and rye. I am looking for cake recipies that use other flours such as rice flour and oat flour. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
sugarshane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshane Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 10

I've never made one, but I have seen flourless chocolate cakes made on the Food Network. That may be an option to consider.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know if you're willing to use cake mixes, but Sun Harvest carries gluten-free cake mixes. I've seen some at the regular grocery store too, but that's more of a random thing.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 10

Here in Canada a company makes cake mixes that are gluten-free and wheat free.I actually made one for a client but the mixes themselves are quite expensive and you need more as the boxes are smaller.That may be a solution than buying all the ingredients seperately.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 10

I have a nephew that is deathly allergic to all wheat and gluten. There's a recipe section for gluten free cakes and I also saw a recipe to make your own version of gluten free flour that you can use in scratch recipes at http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7158-Gluten-Free-Flour-Substitute.html (I haven't tried it yet but it should work). I've also used some of the mixes out there and they work well too.

Good luck!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a CC thread about gluten free baking:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592370.html

... be sure to follow the link in that thread to another thread where I posted a gluten-free cake taste test using two (well, 3--one was a yellow cake that I also baked as a chocolate) GF recipes, here's the link by itself too http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=522883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=glutenfree&&start=0

Also note from that thread, there are some cakes that by their very nature are GF - "flourless chocolate cake" aka truffle cake, is absolutely divine. If you don't have a problem with nuts, I made a flourless chocolate hazelnut cake once that totally rocked my world (and I have no problems eating flour).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #7 of 10

Maybe not what you are wanting at all, but I try to steer my gluten free customers towards a cheesecake instead. Omit the crust and use cornstarch instead of flour and you got it - with no change in flavor or texture!

tattooedlucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tattooedlucy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #8 of 10

The Gluten Free Gourmet has some pretty fantanstic recipes and cookbooks. You might want to check them as a reference. They are on amazon. I got my sister a bunch of them as she is Celiac as well. (and just from personal experience.. chickpea flour? EW!)

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 10

Ok, so can anyone tell me what is different from gluten free frosting mix as opposed to regular powdered sugar? It looked like it was all the same ingredients as what I make my regular frosting with.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 10

Hm, well powdered sugar sure should be gluten free, unless it is a brand that uses "modified food starch" instead of "corn starch"; "food starch"--when it doesn't specifically say "corn starch"--MAY or may not have gluten in it. Same is true for "natural flavors" - my GF friend stays away from those as well just in case.

Other than that I don't know. What does the icing mix say the ingredients are; is it JUST powdered sugar?! Is there vanilla in it too?...in which case I'd guess that way you are guaranteeing you have gf-vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%