Is Wasc Cake Good For Carving?

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm by Juny1980

pumpkinroses  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 9

I know this has been asked before but from my searching it's been mixed with other topics and I find different responses.

I was thinking about using the WASC for a bear cake and thought I would get a poll going so the responses are all in one place.

If you use a different kind of cake please tell also. I know this would help me and many others wanting to carve a cake.

Nikki

8 replies
 newnancy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:53am
post #2 of 9

Great question, something I also would like to know, so here's a bump.

springlakecake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 9

I've never actually tried it, but I have made the WASC a couple of times it it was quite dense IMO. So I think it probably would carve fine.

Lady_Phoenix  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 9

I use wasc and all its variations for carving. Its dense enough to stand up well and there are not a huge amount of crumbs. Just be sure any recipe you choose to use for carving is cold before you begin.

Juny1980  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 9

Hi pumpkinroses,

I just hand-carved my very first cake...a Lightning McQueen from Disney's Cars (see below). I used the WASC and leveled/torted/filled/carved the cake. IMO, it carved pretty good. I don't know what to compare it to since I've never carved anything else, but I would definitely use it again. Good luck with yours!!!
LL

vickymacd  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 9

I just carved my BBQ sauce bottle cake last week, but I used the 'original' WASC cake recipe and had no problem. I did freeze the layers first which always helps!!

newnancy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 9

Juny1980, cute cake. Your 1st carved cake, looks great...maybe I'll have to break down & try this, it looks like fun.

pumpkinroses  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I have carved before but I used Elisa Strauss's Vanilla cake and didn't want to use that for my DD birthday next month because WASC is so good.

Juny1980  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Juny1980, cute cake. Your 1st carved cake, looks great...maybe I'll have to break down & try this, it looks like fun.

Thanks, newnancy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%