Freezing Cake

Decorating By kimberly_4209 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm by abslu

kimberly_4209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly_4209 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

Help! I'm making some cakes ahead of time and planned on freezing, but now I'm starting to worry... does anyone have any good tips for freezing and thawing.

I'm making the cakes as I write this and will need to defrost on wednesday (5 days). Should I freeze? I'm making a cake for this sunday so wanted to get it all done at the same time. Just would take any advice. Thanks so much in advance! Best, Kim

6 replies
dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 7

I ALWAYS freeze my cakes, even if I only bake them the day before. I am known for having VERY moist cakes and I belive this is the reason why! I take my cakes out of the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. I then cut the tops off while they are still in the pan and then turn them out right onto my plastic wrap. (I know it sounds crazy!) I then let them cool until the center of the cake is still a little warm, then finish wrapping them up and put them right into the freezer. Sometimes I let them thaw, but 90% of the time decorate them still frozen. I have never had any problems doing this... I know that some people will think I am crazy for doing it this way but it ALWAYS works for me. I first worried about the cake condensating onto the buttercream or other fillings and cause liquid to come out the bottom of the fondant, but not once has this happened. I get phone calls and emails all the time about how moist and delicious my cakes are.... little do they know that most of the time my cakes are box cakes,lol. Just my 2 cents.... everybody does it their own way, right?

kimberly_4209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly_4209 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 7

Wow, thank-you. Your comment was very helpful. I feel much more confident, but I'm still a little nervous because I've never frozen cakes. Thanks so much again!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

i freeze cakes all the time... i learned it ... reading famous cakes teachers books and watching their dvd's .. etc... i think it makes the cakes more moist....

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:04am
post #5 of 7

Freezing cakes is a must! It allows you to work ahead of time and I agree that it makes them more moist! I let mine cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap. If you have other things in your freezer put a layer of foil on the outside too. It will keep the odors out. I thaw completely before frosting. Do not remove from the plastic wrap until thawed...this locks in the moisture. Thawing also allows the cake to settle so the fill layer doesn't "squish" out after decorating.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 7

can you re-freeze a cake that was thawed out? Last night I thawed 2 cakes (undecorated), incase one of them broke before decorating, but didn't end up needing the second, so I rewrapped it, and stuck it back in basement freezer.

Are there problems (freezer burn) with re-freezing once a cake has fully thawed? icon_smile.gif

~thanks

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 7

I always freeze my cakes, and I do agree, it makes them more moist. I also can torte better if they're more solid.
I haven't had any problems re-freezing a cake that has thawed, just make sure you wrap it good!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%