Glue Using Tylose

Decorating By tucan Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 1:03am by becklynn

tucan Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make the edible glue used by Nicholas Lodge & aine2 using Tylose. The problem is that I have been unable to find it at local stores.

Question: Can gumpaste be used in its place?

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #2 of 8

Tylose is really a decorators sepcial ingredient that most stores (like Michale's & JoAnn's) do not carry. You probab ly will have to order it from Country Kitchen; Nic Lodge or other on-line shops.
Once the container is empty of the powder, fill it w/water and store in the frig. Instant glueicon_smile.gif

Yes, some people ha ve used fondant &/or gumpaste by slowly adding small amoun ts of water until you have 'thin mud' consistency.

tucan Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #3 of 8

Thank you, kakeladi -

I had googled and had been unable to find the answer. You explained it very well and gave me an excellent tip about the empty container.

I will place an online order for the Tylose. In the meantime, I will do as you suggested.

lorrieg Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 8

You can take a small ball of gumpaste (pea sized) and add it to cooled boiled water. Leave it for a while, shake every so often and it will dissolve and you can use it. If I'm going to use mine all week I leave it out and make fresh when I need to but refrigerate it to preserve it.

Egg whites make nice glue. And if the pieces are going to be eaten you can use the pasturized egg whites. I usually have some left in the carton and I freeze it in a small container, take it out the day before I want to use it as glue and let it defrost in the fridge.

tucan Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you lorrieg... you, too, have provided some wonderful alternatives to the Tylose glue.

This website has the nicest, most unselfish people I have ever met!

becklynn Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 8

FYI
In case you have not seen it yet, aine2 has a video on youtube called "How to make edible sugar glue" where she demos how to make the tylose glue. I love it - it works great!
Good luck!

tucan Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #7 of 8

Hi, becklynn,

Yes, that is the glue I am wanting to make, BUT there is no Tylose powder locally (at least where I have looked). I have ordered it online.

Nicholas Lodge's recipe is the same as aine2's, but in larger quantities.

becklynn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #8 of 8

Yes I couldn't get it locally either. I ordered mine online too.
I can't get a lot of stuff locally! icon_sad.gif I spend a lot on shipping!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%