A Couple Quick Questions On A Stacked Cake

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 12:53am by indydebi

Mom2ANC Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 7

I have done a few stacked cakes before, but was not too happy with the end results, so I have a couple questions.

1) I am doing a 6 inch cake on top of an 8 inch cake. The 6 inch will have a fondant loop bow topper. Do I need to do the dowels?

2) How do I transport the cake when it is all done? I will have it on a 12 inch circle because I am using the circle to write on. All the cake boxes I have found are too short.

3) How do I stack the cake so that when the board that the top layer is on is removed, all the icing on top does not come with it?

Thanks!

6 replies
crisseyann Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

On your third question...I have found if you sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar on the top of the layer you are placing the upper layer on, it will not stick. Some people use coconut, as well. You have to watch for food allergies with that though.

wildflower Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 7

on ur second question,i recently did a 6 inch on top of a nine inch and i put it in a box that would fit the base and jus cropped the top of the box open with tape so that the cover wouldnt touch the 6 inch cake
i dont know if that was what u were asking but hope that helps!

HBcakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 7

I would go ahead and use dowels because if you're transporting you'll need that support. Then do a center dowel to keep it from sliding. Even with a small cake you can't risk not using dowels, especially if it's being transported. Don't forget to put some BC or Royal Icing on the base board to attach your bottom tier.

As long as you have an open, flat area with a non-skid liner for the cake to set on, you shouldn't need a box for traveling. That's how I deliver all my stacked cakes.

And if you have a good crusting BC, you should only have to let it crust, then dowel, then stack and you should still be able to lift the top cake off. I used to sprinkle some PS on the bottom cake, but I found it not be necessary anmore if the BC crusts well before you stack. PS should take care of it if your BC is a little sticky.

Aliwis000 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

For question number 3

The PS idea is good I have also heard people who put extra icing in that spot or put coconut shavings between the layers. HTH

Alicia

Staceface81 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 7

I go to Walmart and buy the boxes that they have in the postage, mailing, etc. section. You can get them in lots of different sizes......some really tall ones too. They're cheaper than most cake boxes.

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ANC

I have done a few stacked cakes before, but was not too happy with the end results, so I have a couple questions.

1) I am doing a 6 inch cake on top of an 8 inch cake. The 6 inch will have a fondant loop bow topper. Do I need to do the dowels?

2) How do I transport the cake when it is all done? I will have it on a 12 inch circle because I am using the circle to write on. All the cake boxes I have found are too short.

3) How do I stack the cake so that when the board that the top layer is on is removed, all the icing on top does not come with it?

Thanks!

1) I recommend anything over 2 layers needs a dowel.
2) I don't use boxes. Just sit it nice and flat on a secure surface. If you want to cover it, just use saran wrap really really loose around the cake.
3) As HBcakes said, if your icing crusts well, you shouldn't have a problem. I always stay and cut my cakes so I see personally the effect when I disassemble the cake .... never had icing stick to the upper tier.

And to repeat the warnings on using coconut .... if you go this route, I would clear it with the client. As I've said many times .... if I receive a cake with one shred of coconut on it, I would demand a full refund as I would deem the cake inedible ... I HATE coconut that much! And I'd happily give you the entire cake back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%