Tired Of Making Trips To The Store!

Business By SweetEvents Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 9:21am by loriemoms

SweetEvents Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 16

I own a small cake/party store. I use doctored recipes for most of my cakes. I love duncan hines however i can't seem to find a Wholesaler that I can buy the product or similair product in bulk. I have to make trips to walmart twice a week and have to buy sometimes 40 mixes at a time and i am practically sick of it. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

15 replies
littlecake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 16

dawn foods makes a pretty tasty cake mix....50 pound bags....it is about as expensive as retail tho....

i think a lot of people have to do the trips to wally world...i was buying around 100 a week.

Mike1394 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 16

Have you tried to call DH to see who wholesales in your area?

Mike

kurn Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 16

Same thing here. I always feel guilty when I empty the shelves.

Don't you love the comments at the register (every time). "Wow, are you baking alot of cakes?" DUHHHH! Or... "I'm coming to your house." Or.... "What are you making?" DUHHHHH!

Sorry to be bitter, but I've been hearing the same stupid remarks for years now. It is very rare to get out of the store without someone making a comment.

Mike1394 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 16

Just tell them it's for naked cake wrestling icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

arosstx Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 16

I know a custom cake shop that orders their cake mixes from Walmart, and they don't go in with a cart to take them off the shelves. They call the store in advance, order a bunch, then go pick them up from the back, still in the box they came in off the truck. They do this every week, so I'm guessing maybe you could too?

Worth a phone call anyway. Hope that helps.

littlecake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurn

Same thing here. I always feel guilty when I empty the shelves.

Don't you love the comments at the register (every time). "Wow, are you baking alot of cakes?" DUHHHH! Or... "I'm coming to your house." Or.... "What are you making?" DUHHHHH!

Sorry to be bitter, but I've been hearing the same stupid remarks for years now. It is very rare to get out of the store without someone making a comment.

how's about...do you need a taste tester???...is this for a wedding cake?

heres a funny one....one of the ditzy checkers, asked another one, "doesn't she ever buy any meat or vegetables?"...sher thought i was eating all that cake myself. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

hammer1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 16

that is nothing guys....I shop for 6 foods labs that i teach....when I go to the store I often am pushing one cart and pulling another. I buy multiples of stuff...it quite often people think I'm buying multiples because they are on sale...too bad quite often not on sale..but you see them look in my cart and then grab the same things off the shelf...and I have been hearing the same comments on the amount I buy for 30 years....just smile and say "Don't get in the check out line behind me, it will take awhile."

kurn Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 16

arosstx - That would be soooo conveinient (sp). I will try that. Thanks!

xstitcher Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

I have got to stop drinking coffee/tea when I'm on CC! I'm constantly cleaning the computer desk!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

hopekisa Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #11 of 16

check websites like this one
they'd probably give you a break in price for buying in bulk
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/252/CLID/29/N/82451/Duncan_Hines_Muffin_Mix.htm

deb12g Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:49am
post #12 of 16

I've checked the websites..$30+ for a case of 12 boxes of Duncan Hines cake mix ..I can buy them at Wal Mart for less than $1/box. So, that's why I make the weekly trips there.

SweetEvents Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #13 of 16

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support! It makes me feel good I'm not the only walmart shelf swiper!

mommicakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #14 of 16

You know Mike, my DH just said he is going shopping for cake mixes for me and is going to use that line from you if anyone questions him.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks so much for the laugh,

I go in about 2 times per week too and purchase about 20 at a time.

Anyone else here want to say: "HERE'S YOUR SIGN????"
icon_biggrin.gif

Cakebelle Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ROFLMAO!

loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:21am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

I know a custom cake shop that orders their cake mixes from Walmart, and they don't go in with a cart to take them off the shelves. They call the store in advance, order a bunch, then go pick them up from the back, still in the box they came in off the truck. They do this every week, so I'm guessing maybe you could too?

Worth a phone call anyway. Hope that helps.

I tried this. Three different walmarts. They change managers so many times in my area, they often can't find the order or they forgot or they order the wrong thing!! It was very frustrating. DH distrubtors charge even more for per box then walmart. So I switch brands and buy the 50 lb bags. I don't understand why DH doesnt product 50 lb bags..they are sure missing out on a potential market!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%