Decorating By Hollysuann Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm by Rocketgirl899

Hollysuann Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a version of this cake for someone at work. It will be 10. in bottom tier with an 8 in. top tier. Covered in mmf with fondant details and the gum past shoe on top...any ideas on how much to charge her for it?

Thanks for the inspiration Gama! icon_wink.gif

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

Well from the sound of your post there should have been a picture for us to judge but......
I suggest no less than $3 per serving. Sooooo...that would be about $200

Hollysuann Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 9

I did post a picture in my post, does it not show up?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #4 of 9

$200 sounds right, but that depends on your skill level.

The above cake it adorable in design, and the shoe is fantastic. But I would have a hard time paying $200 for it, beause the BC is a little sloppy. ( I still have not mastered perfect BC!) I also use to work in a pro shop as a front end person, and we would charge $5.50 per serving.

Hollysuann Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the reply. As for my skill level, I have only done one other fondant cake, so I guess I would say that I am pretty much a beginner.

I am planning on covering it in MMF, not buttercream. I haven't mastered the technique of smooth buttercream just yet. I have tried the wax paper with a crusting buttercream, but didn't get fantastic results. I am planning on trying the Viva papertowel method on my next cake!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 9

Try Melvira's method for buttercream, it gives outstanding results. As for the cake you posted, done all in fondant, I would charge $250.

Hollysuann Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the tip! I did a search for Melvira's BC but can't find it. I will have to keep searching unless someone else has it handy! icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 9

please post a pic on this thread or let us know when you compleyted the cake!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 9

here is the link for melvira's method icon_smile.gif have not tried it.. i do use sugarshacks recipe which is AMAZING, i will try the roller soon and let you know
how it goes

Quote by @%username% on %date%