Transportation And Fillings ?

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm by sadsmile

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! Please bear with me as this is my first post and I am relatively new to cake decorating but I have a few questions.

I have just been asked to make a birthday cake for a relative needed tomorrow. I am making a yellow cake and wanted to use a chocolate mousse filling. The cake is going to have to travel approx 1 hour and will be sitting out for an hour before being cut. Will a mousse filling with BC icing hold up being out for 2 hours? If anyone has any simple recipes that will hold up well sitting out I would GREATLY appreciate it! THANK YOU for your help!

Lisa

10 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 11

It will be fine as long as it is very well chilled (preferably overnight) before those two hours.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 11

opps posted it twice... icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11

If you don't want it to buckle out the sides you could use a dam of marzipan or make a small batch of rolled BC and flavor it to match your filling. Make a thick snake and place around the edge. A nice firm dam helps suport the edges and prevent the filling from buldging out the sides. And rolled BC tatses like candy. I make mine from all butter(no crisco)sicne it's on the inside cracking isn't an issue and everyone loves it. Try adding some coco powder along with your PS and a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 11

THANKS for your replies!

sadsmile~ Do you mind sharing the recipe for your rolled bc?

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 11

You probably want to at least half this or even make 1/4 recipie. It saves really well double wrapped and zip locked in the fridge. My favorite flavor is a combo of vanilla, butter and cream bouque. It is too sweet to use as the whole filling but a dam around the edge is just what you need. Make your snake more like a thick ribbon so it holds to both layers with a flat edge. And if you don't want it so sweet you can sub in some corn starch for some of the powdered sugar just not too much. Let me know how you like it!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup light corn syrup (sometimes less for a thicker firmness)
1 cup shortening or half butter/half shortning (I use all butter)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (I use more + any flavor oil or extract)
2 pounds confectioners' sugar (sub in some cup coco for chocolate)
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough like play dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 11

Make choco SMBC.
Make regular SMBC and then add cocoa powder to it.
I use SMBC for all my mousse like fillings...

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 11

mommy_of_3_DDs
would you mind sharing your recipie? icon_biggrin.gif sounds yummy!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 11

I just used the recipe from here. Here it is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html
This is great mixed with anyflavor, I've mixed with raspberry flavored white ganache, chocolate ganache, cocoa powder, raspberry and strawberry jellys... it is great!
I do NOT like the flavor plain though... I only use it to make mousse like flavored fillings.

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks mommy_of_3_DDs icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks mommy_of_3_DDs icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%