Help Cake I'm Bringing To The Barbecue Is The Birthday Cake

Decorating By sugardaze Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm by crystalina1977

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

So,

Family and i get invited to a barbecue which i reply "yes" to. Out of politeness, i ask the usual shall i bring anything...the response is yes a cake to feed 15 people. Than, i find out after i said yes and that i would bring a cake that the barbecue is to celebrate his wife's birthday.

So today i ask if i can bring cupcakes instead because i just didn't feel like torting and filling - to which the answer is no they need a cake to feed 15. Hang on i thought...is my cake the birthday cake??? Yes, it is....aarrgghhh....My husband said to just go out and by a cake but i told him that they could do that themselves.

Baking the cake is no problem but i need some cake decorating ideas. I usually work in fondant, but as this is a birthday cake it will be covered in buttercream. I'm not that great in making buttercream roses.

I need all the cake decorating suggestions...i don't know if i can do any royal icing flowers...it's tomorrow evening...is that enough time to dry???

3 replies
SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 4

I usually do all of my cakes the day before. I have a cake due tomorrow and it will be a 9x13 in buttercream. I will bake the cake tonight and decorate in the a.m. for delivery that evening. They usually do fine!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

Why can't you do it in fondant? Just don't feel like it?

Why not just make a cake like the top tier of your Butterflies and Blossoms cake? You can frost in buttercream and cut the flowers out of colored fondant? The top tier of that cake is fairly simple and you don't need any drying time for those kinds of flower cut outs.

Oops - I just realized this was for today. Oh Well - hope it worked out ok! Let us know!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 4

kinda rude of them to tell you to bring a cake and not tell you that it's THE birthday cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%