...repair Gumpaste Topper?

Decorating By valerie01 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm by OhMyGanache

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 6

I made a gum paste topper similar to the one in the link below. Problem is the head just broke off. It's a clean break, so I think it's repairable. How can I fix it? I really don't want to make a whole batch of royal icing if it can be avoided.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1245908

5 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 6

If you have some gumpaste around, take a pea sized piece, and disolve it in 1 T water (it helps if you rip the gumpaste into a bunch of tiny pieces first....stir it once in a while, it should disolve in about 10 minutes...

lay the topper, face down, set the pieces together then put a little bit of the glue you made on the seem of the two broken pieces. Cut out a strip of gumpaste...I would go about 1/8" thick, and about 1" wide for support... then set this strip on the glued area....make sure this whole support strip is glued on...try not to miss any edges... press the strip onto the figure very lightly...you don't want anymore breaks!! Trim the strip around the edges of the figure so you wont see it from the front. let this dry for a few days... HTH!!!

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you very much Sarsi!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 6

You're very welcome!! Let me know how it goes, and I hope it all works out for you!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 6

Adding to that..you can sand the seams so they wont show.. Hoping is an area you can reach easily..Make sure is very dry before attempting this.
Edna

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 6

I always use crazy glue and just tell them not to eat it (like they'd want to anyway. Ick!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%