Superpearl To 90-Proof Ratio For Airbrushing

Decorating By 1universe Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 9:54pm by hobbist

1universe Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 12

For all that I find about people airbrushing fondant covered cakes with superpearl, I have not been able to find the measured recipe. The actual ratio of superpearl to vodka. icon_cry.gif

I have to finish my sister's wedding cake this weekend, and the only thing missing is the pearlizing finishing touch because noone has been able to give me the "recipe".

11 replies
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 12

That's probably because there isn't a set "recipe" lol You just have to mix it so it's a very thin consistency, and you MUST keep mixing it as you refill the airbrush cup (or if you have a siphon feed, stop often and shake it) to keep the dust evenly distributed in the alcohol. Honestly, if you have a cake supply nearby you are better off buying the pre-mixed pearl airbrush liquid as no matter how well you mix dust with alcohol you are still prone to clogs. Good luck!

1universe Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 12

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU icon_biggrin.gif PinkZiab for a concise and timely response!! I didn't even know that there is a premixed formula.

Again, thank you

nicki9774 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 12

Hi, Last week I was researching info on airbrushing with pearl dust by Wilton and I ran into this sight, tells alot about airbrushing with these different types of luster dust, pearl dust and another one. Hope this helps.

dellboi2u Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 12

I use one vial of pearl dust (this is when I want a dramatic effect... if only a shimmer I would only use half) and then fill the rest my container that attaches to my airbrusher (shot glass size) with vodka. I open up the control for how much liquid is sprayed up quite a bit and this keeps it from clogging. I also shake it up every 30 seconds or so.

icer101 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #6 of 12

lucks makes a pearlizing airbrush color.... also americolor... bought it at the convention... nicholas lodge sells lucks.... country kitchen sells lucks... so try these out... i haven,t tried them yet... but seen them used at convention... beautiful.. beautiful... beautiful

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 12

If anyone has a link to somewhere that sells LUCKS please post it ! Not just the store but to the item.
I have been trying to find it for a few weeks and cant. If you google Lucks and go to their site it says they only sell to a business and they redirect you to party works and they dont have it.Does anyone have a direct link to it ?Thanks much ! I have looked on Countrykitchensa and cant find it there.

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 12

I would not use Lucks Pearl liquid as many here have used it and it was too thick and clogged their airbrushes!! Me included..I threw it out!!! Americolor just put out 3 new Sheens and one is pearl so I would buy that instead.I did is wonderful!!! I bought mine at Into the oven...

fiddlesticks Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks I will check that out I was looking for green sheen.

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 12

I think the colors are Gold,Silver and pearl..I haven't seen green or any other color.

1universe Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 12

AI know it's been years, but thanks for all the advice. "Better late than never" my piano teacher always said.

hobbist Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

I have used americolor pearls  with out any clogging . I used it straight didn't know I could dilute it . Try it on some scraps of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%