Buttercream Decorations On Fondant??

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 4:08am by dellboi2u

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 3

Can you use buttercream to do borders and decorations on a fondant covered cake, or will it soften the fondant too much? I have a lady that would like an 8x8 marble cake cover in white fondant. She wants a teal border at the top and a blue border at the bottom, with small purple heart along the sides of the cake. She wants these in buttercream and also filled with buttercream. She would pick up on the Friday and it would be cut into on the Sunday. I use the 1/2 marg, 1/2 crisco with milk. Would this be okay to stay out of the fridge from Thursday to Sunday? Can you put a fondant cake in the fridge?

What would you charge for something like this? Thanks, any help is appreciated!!

2 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 3

I can answer a couple of your questions..I have done buttercream (all shortening) on fondant, it held up fine, but the more intense colors did stain the fondant underneath (just fyi). I have put fondant cakes in the fridge many times, they just have to come to room temp and be allowed to dry off before handling, I can't say how the buttercream would react with this though ( mine did not go in the fridge) hopefully someone can answer your other questions, hth.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 3

I do fondant covered cakes 99% of the time... I hate doing buttercream cakes lol. I make my own MM Fondant and add flavoring so it tastes better. I do buttercream accents all the time on my cakes and also refrigerate them too. I have never run into any problems doing this. I haven't ever had my colors bleed into my fondant and I have even used black buttercream onto fondant. Knock on wood,lol. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%