Need Help! Cake Board Under Bottom Layer?

Decorating By katie11 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm by indydebi

katie11 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 7

Do you use a cake board under your bottom layer? I tried this with my last cake and it made it easier to move the cake from the decorating surface to the display surface, but I felt like it made the cake harder to cut / serve and my bottom border fell off when serving.

I am a cake moron so any help is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
staceyboots Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 7

katie, i know what you mean!

if i am making a 6" round cake, i like to stick a 6" waxpaper circle and a 6" round cakeboard to the bottom of the cake...it makes it so much easier to move the cake.

the problem for me usually arises with the borders because when i cut a slice, the border is below the actual bottom of the cake.

i hope that someone can tell us how to fix this.

katie11 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

Yes - that is exactly what happens! You described it to tee! Now ... calling all experts .... please help us!!!

gr8_seamstress Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 7

Make the cake board slightly smaller than the cake. Then the border will be applied to the cake, not the board.

katie11 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 7

That's what I just tried this morning, and I think it might work. Thanks for the suggestion!

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 7

I always put a board under every cake tier.

I find that because the borders are usually applied after the icing has crusted, they fall off anyway.

Losing the border is just a fact of cutting & serving the cake--it's no big deal.

Rae

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I always put a board under every cake tier.

I find that because the borders are usually applied after the icing has crusted, they fall off anyway.

Losing the border is just a fact of cutting & serving the cake--it's no big deal.

Rae

Ditto.

The primary reasons I put a board under my bottom tier is (1) I don't want the knife actually cutting right on my silver plateau or my other more costly stands (2) if there is any cake leftover, I can remove the leftover cake by removing the board and take my plateau back with me. If the cake was right on the stand, I couldn't really remove the leftovers to get my stand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%