Gold Leaf?

Decorating By Eisskween Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm by jules1719

Eisskween Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! Does anyone know how to apply gold leaf to cake decor? Do you dissolve it in vanilla? Is it even possible to do this? icon_confused.gif I have a cake coming up and would like to use gold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you !
Karen

4 replies
ibmoser Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

Do you want to use real gold leaf or just luster dust? Most use luster dust. It can be suspended in alcohol (clear alcohol like vodka or lemon extract) and painted on for a very nice metallic gold look.

scWMI Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

You can use real gold leaf, but needs to be 22 kt to be edible. You usually apply it to fondant on a cake. You cover the cake with fondant, then LIGHTLY mist the fondant with water so it get sticky, and then apply the gold leaf with a brush. Gold leaf can be very messy though, as small pieces break off, and you end up with them floating all over the place. It also needs to be ordered from a company that sells cake decorating supplies since you can't just use whatever you can find at your local craft store. I think I have seen it on Pfiel and Holing's website at cakedeco.com if you want to try looking there for it.

Eisskween Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for your answers. I have a cake supply shop that had the flaked gold leaf, but I think I will stick with the luster dust! Thank you again for all your help! I can't tell you how much this site and all you wonderful folks mean to me. You're the greatest!

jules1719 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 5

There is also a high shine, spray gold that's edible. It comes in a can like hairspray. It's more smooth than lustre and not as pricey as actual leaf. All the usual suspects sell it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%