Topsy Turvy With Dummy Wedges, Anyone Has Done It???

Decorating By Solecito Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 5:51am by Solecito

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #1 of 7

I was thinking about making one, because I don't know if I could make a topsy turvy covered in buttercream only, I think I coul get my icing full of crumbs after carvig it. You see people around here don't really want to pay for a fondant covered cake, beacuse they say it tastes awful and everybody will peel it from the cake before eating it. I always tell them I make my own and it doesn't taste bad, but the price is out of this world for some people.
So if anyone has been successful making a TT covered in buttercream or using wedges could please share some pointers?
Pretty please?

6 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:33am
post #2 of 7

I have plenty of TT's that are done in tbuttercream. Actually the majority of them are in buttercream, is never been an issue. Actually I find them really easy.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have plenty of TT's that are done in tbuttercream. Actually the majority of them are in buttercream, is never been an issue. Actually I find them really easy.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

When I posted my question, your cakes came to mind, I really love your designs but wasn't sure if they were buttercream.
What do you use for support? I've seen your videos on you tube, do you happen to have one on stacking a TT? I never done one but they seem to be a very hot and new trend here, so I need to start making them, I'm just a little afraid to try.

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 7

I don't have one video..I might make one, but thats a a very long one. So I am debating on how to do it.

I have TT's in both buttercream and fondant. But the majority that goes out of the shop are done in buttercream.

I always say to my students..Is only sugar..give it a try. I do the hole and the center, level it and stack it like a regular cake.
It's scary, but, so is stacking your first cake.
I'll be thinking on the idea of the video.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7

"Hole in the centrel, level and stack"
Do you mean like a tutorial they have here in CC??

I asume you crumb coat then ice thick instead of the fondant.
I'm going to have to try it. I never used fondant to cover a cake and here I found the inspiration and with some videos now I can make a very good fondant covered cake, I also tried the fbct, with good results, so I guess my next proyect has to be a TT.

Do you mind me PM'ing you if I have some questions along the way?

About the video, maybe you can make one and save it in fast motion so it won't be that long and at the same time give a general idea on how it's done.

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 7

Yes ..like the tutorial here..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:51am
post #7 of 7

Thank you Edna. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%