Uh-Oh

Decorating By jamhays Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 4:21am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 6

I think I put too much water in my cake batter!! I think I read my measuring cup wrong, because the batter was really runny. What now?

5 replies
tupperangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tupperangel Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 6

Hi- I am not sure- how runny was it??

And I adore your siggy line- that is soooo going with me to Bible Study! icon_razz.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 6

Yes, whether you can solve this depends upon how much extra liquid you think you put in there.

If it's as much as 1/4 cup, I have salvaged a cake by turning the temperature down to 300 degrees, putting a cookie sheet under the pan, and increasing the baking time considerably.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 6

Add some vanilla, or chocolate, or complimentary flavor pudding mix to the cake batter. Well, you CAN add 1/2 flour; 1/2 sugar mixture, but, the pudding would probably work as well.

Now, this is JUST A THOUGHT because I've never tried it, however, I'm fearless when it comes to experimenting with my cake mistakes!

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

PS I LOVE the signature as well and I'M taking it to my College and Career Sunday School Class! LOL

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:17am
post #5 of 6

few months ago, i halved my moist choc cake recipe, since i only wanted to make about a dozen of cupcakes (the recipe produces around 2 dozens cupcakes).

in my haste, i forgot to halve the buttermilk, instead of half a cup, i put in 1 cupful.

only after i've put them in the oven it hit me i had added more liquid than required.

i didn't increase the temp, & kept the same baking duration.

the cupcakes turned out beautiful as usual. no tragedy there...

HTH!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #6 of 6

Adding to the "uh oh" thread...

Tonight my girls had friends over. I was mixing my scratch batter for carrot cake and they were firing questions at me. I kept thinking that the batter didn't have the volume I thought it should. So I mixed a little longer. Finally, I gave up and poured the batter in the pans. Seemed like there wasn't enough batter. I set the timer for 30 minutes. When the timer beeped I checked my cakes to find out that they were thin and appeard to be dry. In fact, they hadn't even spread out!

I went over and over the recipe and couldn't figure out what could have gone wrong. Later I was relaying the story over the phone to my aunt when I realized I hadn't put in the two cups of sugar! D'oh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%