No Meringue Powder

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm by PinkZiab

thedessertdiva Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #1 of 6

And not enough time to head out to Wally World. Can I just substitue egg whites? I have a bazillion eggs. What is the ratio? Anyone have a good egg white meringue recipe that you can share? I need to decorate these cookies tonight!!!

5 replies
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

I assume by decorating cookies you need it for royal icing? Just mix egg whites and powdered sugar to the desired consistency. I usually just start with 1 or 2 egg whites in a bowl and add PS till it's the thickness I want. I've never used meringue powder in my life. I only add cream of tartar & corn starch if I am using it for structure (gingerbread houses. pastillage, etc).

jibbies Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 6
thedessertdiva Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I assume by decorating cookies you need it for royal icing? Just mix egg whites and powdered sugar to the desired consistency. I usually just start with 1 or 2 egg whites in a bowl and add PS till it's the thickness I want. I've never used meringue powder in my life. I only add cream of tartar & corn starch if I am using it for structure (gingerbread houses. pastillage, etc).

Yes...silly me. I do mean RI. So, thats it? No vanilla? No water? Just Pwd. Sugar and the egg whites? You mean I have been killing myself all these years with that powdered [email protected] and I could have just done this??? icon_eek.gif

Thanks!! LOL

Tashablueyes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6

Okay, .. so it's okay to not be heating your egg whites in RI? Also, how long does it last and how do you store it when it's made with whites? And, can you use an All whites type product for RI? Does it change the consistency? THanks!!

PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

Yup that's it. Egg whites and powdered sugar. No heating, no muss, no fuss. I usually mix it as-needed, but you can store it for a couple days in the fridge. While I'm working with it I usually cover the bowl with a damp towel and then plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. You could add vanilla or other flavoring if you wanted, just adjust the egg whites or PS to compensate. Once it's made if you want to thin it out a little you can use a little water (literally one drop at a time).

If you want to use it for construction (gingerbread houses, etc) you can add a tablespoon each corn starch and cream of tartar to a large batch to help strengthen it.

I've never used the all-whites type product, so I can't say for sure how it'll work. I can't imagine it would make a difference, but like I said I can't speak from experience there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%