What Kinda Cameras Do Ya'll Have?

Business By littlecake Updated 24 Dec 2008 , 9:44am by loriemoms

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 26

the cheap one i bought takes awful pics.

after trying all day this was the best ones....plus i think it might be hurting my puter....

the screen came up and said something was draining power....to take off the last installed program...WHAT DA HECK?

then it went offline for awhile....ugh...

i uninstalled it

25 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 26

Does it have a flash ON/flash OFF setting, or maybe a fill-in flash? It looks like you took the pics with your flash off and not enough light. The blurriness is from the camera shaking during the exposure.

Editted to add: My camera is a Minolta DiMage Xt, a few years old, but still amazing.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #3 of 26

I have a casio and love it!!! what kind of settings do you have on the camera? Mine has macros for taking different kind of pictures which is cool because I can set it on food and it does a great job.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 26

I'm an amateur photographer also and I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. The XSi came out this year and it's an awesome camera!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #5 of 26

I'm with Tracy.. I have a canon digital rebel XTi as well and a 50mm f1.4 lens and love love love them.

As for your pictures.. Anna is right.. you took those with the flash off (to avoid that blown out highlights and harsh shadows "flashy" look) and there wasn't enough light/you didn't have it on a tripod and that's what caused all the motion blur. Taking pictures with a point and shoot camera without the flash isn't easy.

If you really want to take nice pictures you need to have a place with nice light and I would invest in a good camera. There's a learning curve when using a DSLR camera rather than a point and shoot, but it is worth it for the wonderful pictures you can take.

I would HIGHLY recommend the XTi (or the XSi) by Canon and a 50mm f1.8 to get yourself going. The lens I have is a $300 lens, but you can get very good images the the 50mm 1.8 and it's only $80-100. And the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is wonderful for understanding how DSLR cameras work and how to use them.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #6 of 26

I have a Samsung 7.1 Megapixel and I haven't had it a year and its working my nerves already. I can never get a good shot the first time, I have to take about 10 before I give up!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 26

I have a Cannon Sure Shot (it's a couple years old), and love it. I'm not much of a techie geek, and it's easy to use and the pics come out great.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 26

I have the Canon Rebel XTI also and love love love it... no extra lens or flash equipment yet.

FromScratch Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 26

So what.. all of us photogs are geeks???? icon_confused.gif

icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif

I have a Canon Digital elph too and it takes 1/2 decent pictures. It depends on what you are going for. I use my point and shoot when I am taking snapshots and my real camera for most other things.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 26

It's not so much about the camera...it's about composition of the shot, having the right amount of light, and above all, keeping the camera still. My ex-husband and I used to have a photography studio in our garage. We used really good cameras (Hasselblad and Nikon) and had studio lighting and professional darkroom equipment. But even with all that great stuff, if the camera was moved during the shot, the image was blurry.

Digital is a lot easier, you have instant results and you can remove redeye or glare with photoshop. But you can't correct a blurry picture. So no matter what camera you use, keep the camera still, or use a tripod if you need to. Make sure you have enough light.

And make sure the background of your picture is uncluttered. There are the most gorgeous cakes here in the galleries, but in the background, there are wadded-up paper towels and dirty dishes and you-name-it.
I know that everyone here has a great eye for detail, it shines through in all the cakes. Try to set up the shot so the cake is like a jewel on display, because that IS what it is.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 26

I have a Nikon D80...Love how it takes pictures, though I am not much of a photographer...Now, my hubby takes great pics!

FromScratch Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 26

Oh I agree with you Anna.. setting up the shot is one of the key elements in taking a good picture. I just prefer the arsty side of photography and I really feel that a PAS camera just can't deliver the goods. You by all means don't NEED an expensive camera to take decent pictures.. and you are right.. all the equpiment in the world isn't going to turn you into Ansel Adams. It's about ability and know-how.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 26

i have a cannon rebel and also a cannon sure shot...

i use the sure shot for the quick pics... small cakes that i do alot of and then i use the rebel for the professional looking pics, like my wedding cakes and competition cakes....

i love photography and took classes a while ago so they are my babies

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #14 of 26

I have Minolta Maxmums w/ off camera flash .Also a macro lens to get close ups of detail work.Like others have said,it's ALL about lighting and composition. I have made several requests to some people at ICES to hold a cake photo workshop at their annual meeting, we'll see.Have also invested in a good scanner so my prints can be downloaded to 'puter.One thing I have learned is that its hard to get sharp photos when hand holding camera,so I almost always use a tripod for best results.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #15 of 26

Sorrry, fingers work faster than my brain. Also met to say that good photos are sometimes the selling point of our products.Most of the time,we have found,that cakes and decorators are picked for the quality of their product,and MOST of the time our photos are the only way to show that quality.So I belive that a good camera is a very valuable business asset.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuf

I have a Nikon D80...Love how it takes pictures, though I am not much of a photographer...Now, my hubby takes great pics!

Ditto.

We got this camera to take pics of the kids and my cakes, but I end up using my camera on my phone for everything. Most of my cake pics are from my phone icon_lol.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #17 of 26

I recently acquired a Minolta DiMage 5, which is a few years old but has allowed me to resume my love for photography. It has a wonderful macro setting that lets me get in close for the details. I recently purchased a 1 gig card so I can save images in a larger size and higher quality and never have to worry about running out of storage during a shoot.

I have a wonderful Minolta 35mm film camera, but developing film is expensive and a hassle. It has been "retired" for now. Digital photography means I can take a bunch of pictures, check them out on my computer immediately, and if they are horrible, take some more right away! Nothing beats instant gratification!

In addition to storing all of my images on a separate hard drive, I also upload most of the good ones to Flickr.com. It allows me to share them with friends, relatives, and strangers. And I can conveniently link to them in posts and on my blog, instead of having to upload them as attachments.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 26

Digital Rebel XTi FTW! Great camera. I print 8 x 11's from this camera for my portfolio. Can't say enough good about the Canon.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #19 of 26

Update: I'm shopping for a new camera. Last night my camera wouldn't take pics with the flash engaged. Then some staticky little noises could be heard then a loud POP like someone popped a bubble wrap pod. Then came the smell of burning electronics...ohhhh noooooooo!!!!!

My husband and I drive to work together and I didn't talk for the first twenty minutes of the trip. He finally asked if something was bothering me to which I replied, "I'm sad."

"What are you sad about?"

"My camera died."

"No it didn't. Just the flash," he replied.

To which I said, "And your point is?!"

I guess he's right. I can always drag the kids and all their presents outside on Christmas morning (after the sun has risen) and take Christmas pics in the front yard so that I have enough light! icon_confused.gif

So I've done lots of research online, consulted photog friends, and came back to this thread. I think I'm going to go with the Canon Rebel XTi. It seems to be a good all-purpose digital SLR and since they came out with a newer model, I can get a kit for less than $900. I told my husband I'll have to sell a lot of cakes and cookies and save up every penny to afford it. SOB.

I think I've got him feeling pretty sorry for me. I'm hoping he'll surprise me with a new camera in time for Christmas picture-taking.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #20 of 26

I want a Nikon D60....Hope Santa hears me!! LOL

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #21 of 26

I asked Santa for a Nikon D40, but I'm pretty happy with my Kodak Z740.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:47am
post #22 of 26

Just bought the Cannon Rebel XS...I love it!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I'm an amateur photographer also and I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. The XSi came out this year and it's an awesome camera!

I bought the xsi in October, and I luuuuuurrrrrrrve it! It's so nice to be able to take great pics the first shot instead of taking 20 and hoping to get a single good one.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 26

Update! My brand-spanking-new Canon Rebel XTi, two lenses, a flash, and a buttload of other accessories are on the way. Santa came through! I broke down and cried! (And I'm NOT a crier, so he kind of freaked out).

It should arrive on my doorstep tomorrow!

Yay me!

I can't WAIT to try it out and add all kinds of new pics to Flickr...and when I get a chance to bake I can add cake pics to CC!

Yippee!!! [kicking my heels together in the air]

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 12:13am
post #25 of 26

Well, it's official! After taking a scenic tour of south Louisiana thanks to being misrouted by UPS, my camera arrived today. I greeted the UPS guys at the road, jumping up and down with excitement!

Now I'll have to learn how to use it. I still have some old decorated cookies stored away (don't ask me why). I'll be able to practice on them.

Yay!

Merry Christmas!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:44am
post #26 of 26

I have the powershot A560 and I hate it. I take alot of photos at the wedding itself after I have set up and it just doesn't read the light right. It wants to use the flash for everything and with the flash the colors come out washed out and you cant see the details on the cakes. I have played with all the settings and it just too much of an automatic camera. (even the manual settings dont let you do much..I have played with the ISO settings and it just isn't meant for what we do I think) So this year I plan on trying to find a good camera. I agree, setting up your lighting and such is important, but 90 percent of the time I dont have a choice!
In the meanwhile, I constantly beg the wedding photographers to send me copies of wedding cake photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%