Question About Cake Batter

Decorating By abra526 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm by marccrand

abra526 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 12", two layer square cake for a baby shower. My 12" pan takes about 1 1/2 cake mixes to fill, so I bought 3 mixes. If I mix all 3 in one big bowl, and fill the pan with 1/2 of this mixture, how should I store the other 1/2 until the pan comes out of the oven and cools off enough for me to use for the second layer? I only have 1 12" pan.

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

Actually for a 12 sq you should be using 2 mixes for each layer.
Why not make the WASC recipe so you have more batter? Use 1 1/2 (of the 3 you b ought), then add the extra ingredients so you end up w/the batter equal to 2 mixes for each layer.
If you use just the 3 mixes as is, yes, you can hold the batter for the 2nd layer in the frig just long enough for the 1st to b ake but don't try to hold it overnight.

Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 9

I also use 2 mixes for each 12 sq pan.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:57am
post #4 of 9

I would suggust buying another pan. I always try to buy 2 pans of each size because the wait and frustration of having to let one cook and cool gets to me. It can get expensive but depending on the brand (if you use wilton) you can get coupons from crafts stores for 40%....

in the mean time I just stash it in the fridge while it cooks and take it out about 15 minutes before I will cook it. I re-beat the mix.

Hope that helps.

tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 9

I've done this many times as I have only one pan in some sizes. I just cover the mixing bowl with saran, stick it in the fridge, and use it as soon as I can when the first cake is turned out onto the cooling rack and the pan can be re-greased. Never had a problem.

Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 9

Maybe this is a dumb question.....I'm sorry, but I've been seeing "WASC" recipe in a few forums and I have no idea what it is. Could someone please tell me what it stands for? icon_redface.gif

abra526 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #7 of 9

Thankyou guys for all your help. My cakes turned out fine. The reason I thought I only needed 3 mixes was because of the instructions that came with the pan. They said to use 6 cups of batter, and that one mix yields about 4 to 6 cups. The turned out okay, and I only used the 3 mixes that I had because I live 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store, so I didn't go back into town for one mix! Thanks again!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 9

I never trust wilton pan instructions. I always pour water in the pan and measure 1/2-3/4 up the side of the pan. This seems to give me taller cakes. On the bottom of the pan I just write in permanet marker the number of cups.

Also measure different brands of mixes, and how you mix it all and how much air you get into the batter. 2 cups is a pretty big margin, easpecially when you star using multiple boxes. so four boxes of mix will get you 16-24 cups of batter? See what I mean?

Best of luck, glad the cakes turned out fine.

marccrand Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 9

WASC = White Almond Sour Cream Cake

See the post in the General forum for a list of a lot of the acronyms used on this site. Some of them I knew and some I didn't! icon_redface.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%