Satin Ice Help!!!!

Decorating By joylisa08 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:41am by BlakesCakes

joylisa08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylisa08 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 10

I am hoping you guys ca help me. I'm doing a wedding cake and using satin ice for the first time. My first question is how thick do you roll it out. Is it the same as Wilton fondant. Next is there a way to fix tears if you have one. Thanks in advance.

Joy

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 10

I roll my Satin Ice between 1/8 and 1/6 inches thick, but I also often use a mixture of 1/3 Wilton & 2/3 Satin Ice (to get better workability and retain good taste).

As for tears, it's the same as with Wilton--you can try to rub it gently with a bit of crisco, you can try to add a dab of fresh fondant and rub that with crisco, or you can start over again. It isn't a self-healing product, so larger tears are "fatal".

HTH
Rae

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:47am
post #3 of 10

Rae, do you know if you can add MMF or does it have to be Wilton's?

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #4 of 10

Sorry, Tasha, I don't know how to answer that one--I don't work with MMF, but having read a lot of posts about the variability of it, I don't know how it would mesh with SI.

I used MMF once a long time ago, and I don't think it's stretch and workablility is comparable to Wilton, but I could be wrong.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

Rae

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #5 of 10

I think I will try just a little bit of each Rae, because you're right, MMF does not have much flexibility and to me Satin Ice has too much, so either they won't mix well, or they will make a great mix, we shall see!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #6 of 10

i agree with BlakesCakes.

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #7 of 10

I have used Satin Ice lots of times, and although I like the taste better I find it to be harder to work with than Wilton. To me it doesn't seem to 'set' as fast, it stays soft longer, which seems to create more sagging and bubbles. I love Satin Ice for making decorations but as far as covering the cake I just seem to have better luck with Wilton fondant, but it definately doesn't taste as nice. I will have to try the half Wilton half SI mix, that's a good idea.

nydivagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nydivagirl Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 10

I am new to this forum and to cake decorating. I will use Satin Ice Fondant for the first time, when you roll it out should you put cornstarch on the table to mix in with the fondant for better pliarability? I really want to use fondant to cover my cakes, what are the secrets to fondant use?

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't mix it with Wilton.....you dont' want to ruin the taste and the wilton stuff is nasty!! I haven't found it very difficult to work with, although it is softer than Wilton. I like the fact that it stays softer longer, better taste to me. I just roll it out to 1/6 in. on a huge plastic mat with a little bit of cornstarch dusting and haven't had a problem, then again I've only done a few and nothing huge and if you need to do a little repair a little bit of crisco will help. I love satin ice icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

I wouldn't mix it with Wilton.....you dont' want to ruin the taste and the wilton stuff is nasty!! I haven't found it very difficult to work with, although it is softer than Wilton. I like the fact that it stays softer longer, better taste to me. I just roll it out to 1/6 in. on a huge plastic mat with a little bit of cornstarch dusting and haven't had a problem, then again I've only done a few and nothing huge and if you need to do a little repair a little bit of crisco will help. I love satin ice icon_smile.gif

As I said in my post above, mixing 1/3 Wilton w/ 2/3 Satin Ice DOESN'T RUIN THE TASTE (or I wouldn't do it!). If you happen to find Satin Ice a bit soft, adding that small amount of Wilton makes it workable for anyone--even a novice at fondant work.

As for using cornstarch, I don't recommend it. It's a drying agent, so it leads to quicker drying, possible elephant skin if you're on the slow side when working with the fondant, and if your scraps are damp or have a bit of buttercream or crumbs on it can actually ferment over time causing waste.

I roll on a large piece of clear vinyl or a silicone mat rubbed with a bit of crisco. It's not messy, I can roll it fairly thin, the scraps can be saved and used for a long period of time, and I don't have to clean off CS from the finished product.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%