Stacking Tres Leche Cake

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 9:35am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

SugarBakers05 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 34

I was wondering what technique to use to stack a tres leche cake..about 3 tiers. Since its soft cake (or so i assume) would it be able to support that weight?

33 replies
Solecito Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 34

I wouldn't try it, not only are they softer, they are heavier.

TejasRebel Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 34

Probably not a good idea since they're so moist and heavy icon_wink.gif

nesweetcake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 34

Don't know if I would stack directly on one another. I would use pillars etc or try the stress free cake system if direct stacking. Good luck.

KoryAK Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 34

I have done it. But you def have to cut the liquid down if you are going to ice and stack like regular cake. I just treated it like normal.

millermom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 34

This is a little off the subject, but what do you use to frost a tres leches? It seems to me that BC would be too much with all the liquid, or that it may not stick at all.

Any different ideas/experiences? icon_confused.gif

Solecito Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 34

Rich's Bettercreme, which is a type of non-dairy whipped topping. I think Sam's sells a big bucket, but I buy mine in quart size containers and it comes liquid and you have to whipp it up.

But I live in Mexico so I don't know where to find in the USA

SugarBakers05 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 34

Thanks everyone, for the input!!

KoryAK Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:34am
post #9 of 34

I use my usual, SMBC if it needs to be a decorated cake. Whipped cream if it its just for eating.

iramirez94 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:24am
post #10 of 34

Would you share your receipe for tres leches? Thanks.

BTW.. have any of you had tres leches cake with a filling. There is a bakery in Chicago that makes an awesome tres leches. The filling is strawberry and banana with custard. It is to die for icon_evil.gif

KoryAK Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:15am
post #11 of 34

I use my regular white cake and soak it with a mix of:

1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream (or milk)

You don't have to use all the soaking mix.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 34

how do you soak it? or do you use it the way you would a syrup? this is so interesting. i bet it tastes really yummy.

KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #13 of 34

I use a squirt bottle with the smallest tip, same way I soak all my cakes. I usually soak, let it sit, and repeat. A lot more liquid goes into this than a regular cake.

gabbenmom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #14 of 34

Kory, a quick question, if you use simple syrup, do you spray it on also? I never thought of doing that way. That would be so much easier.

I don't know that stacking tres leches would work. For frosting I usually just use a fresh, lightly sweetened whipped cream.

KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #15 of 34

Yeah, the whipped cream is the classic, but SMBC is an ok second for a decorated application. You shold still be able to stack the whipped cream ones too, just need to use a nice, sturdy system like SPS.

I use simple syrup on all my cakes (scratch) and yes I apply that with the small tipped squirt bottle as well. Fastest way I have found.

gabbenmom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:00am
post #16 of 34

Thank you Kory. I will have to try it. It sounds like it would work alot better!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:10am
post #17 of 34

thanks! off to make some tres leches cupcakes!

DebBTX Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 34

I am glad this thread was begun.

I have never tried to stack a Tres Leche. I think it is wonderful that it can be done. My Tres Leche cakes are very moist, really almost wet. I wouldn't be able to stack them like that. I like the idea of using a bottle to lightly soak them.

Do any of you that do stack them have any trouble with the wet cake "leaking" a milk puddle around the base of the cake after it has been there for a little while?

Are you saying that you would only stack right before it was needed, or are you able to leave it out at room temperature long enough to decorate and wait through a reception to be served?
Have you done some that looked like a traditional wedding cake or large party cake from the outside?
I have always left the cake in the refrigerator until right before it needed to be served. But, then again it was only a two layer cake, nothing stacked.

I love the taste of a Tres Leche. They are very popular in Texas.

-Debbie B.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #19 of 34

i tired making one. the recipe i used did not have any butter in it which i thought was strange. then the cakes won't soak up the milk icon_sad.gif

crdemers Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #20 of 34

I just did a tres leches for a baby shower and did it torted and stacked.
I didn't use all of the liquid that it called for. I was to nervous with it being to wet and falling apart. It was my first time ever making a tres leches so I was quite nervous with how it was going to taste.
I did add a filling. I torted it twice (so there were three layers of cake) - figured that the skinner layers wouldn't be as heavy, iced thin layer of whipped cream then filled with frozen strawberries (slightly thawed) I thought that if I skimmed the top of each layer than the strawberries wouldn't soak or sink into the actual cake. Then finished the cake with whipped cream and decorated. I read somewhere that if you put a small amount of icing or what ever you are using around the bottom then you won't get that puddle that everyone dreads.
I bake, cooled, filled and iced on the Sat. and then put it in the freezer till, Sun. morning, when I stacked and decorated then put it back in the fridge until it was time to deliver.
Everyone said it was absolutely amazing and actually complained that they didn't have enough. I guess some people just kept going back for more. It was done for a baby shower, I will attach a pick so you can see the finished cake.
Hope this helps and good luck
LL

KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 34

http://www.spdak.com/pictures/rose%20tower.htm

This cake had at least 2 layers of 3L. I have no leaking problems with mine, but I do use scratch cakes.

DebBTX Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I use my regular white cake and soak it with a mix of:

1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream (or milk)

You don't have to use all the soaking mix.

This is the ratio of ingredients that I use. I love the taste.

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:

http://www.spdak.com/pictures/rose%20tower.htm

This cake had at least 2 layers of 3L. I have no leaking problems with mine, but I do use scratch cakes.

Your cake looks wonderful. I would have never guessed that it was a Tres Leche.

I only bake from scratch as well. I use probably 3/4 or so of the combined milks, the same recipe that you posted using the heavy cream, so my cake is quite wet and usually has a puddle around the base. Since it isn't stacked I haven't worried about the leakage like I would if I had to stack it. But I am really thinking about how wonderful it would be to be able to stack it.

How much of the combined milks do you think you actually use per cake recipe to get the taste and yet not make it soggy?

How long are you able to leave it out at room temperature?

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #24 of 34

I thought that I would add, that my favorite way to eat a Tres Leches cake is to have fresh strawberries on it.

If I keep thinking about this, I am going to end up in the kitchen again. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdemers

I just did a tres leches for a baby shower and did it torted and stacked.

I wanted to let you know that your cake came out so cute. You really did a fantastic job on it. It looks like such a fun cake. I bet everyone loved seeing and eating it. icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #26 of 34

I use this recipe and everone loves it!!! I have done a 3 layer cake with custard and strawberry filling but i have never tried stacking this type of cake. I use pastry pride or the bettercreme to frost.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2411-Tres-Leches-Cake-Mix-Cake.html

KoryAK Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #27 of 34

I have no idea how much I actually use because the proportions from above go with a specific proportion of cake that I don't even know! lol I just make w/e size I need! If I had to guess, I'd say its probably 1/2-2/3 of whats called for ... but then again I've never had 3L besides my own so I really just have no idea. I will say that it has grown a little following in the Hispanic community here, so it must be kinda right.

DebBTX Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #28 of 34

Do you just stack and decorate as if it were a "normal" cake?

Have you ever covered one in fondant?

I was just asking about a time frame on the room temperature issue because it gets so hot and humid here.
Do they need to be refrigerated after you decorate them?

-Debbie B.

maimai16 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

I use simple syrup on all my cakes (scratch) and yes I apply that with the small tipped squirt bottle as well. Fastest way I have found.

hi KoryAK icon_smile.gif

is this 'simple syrup' you use for all your cakes is the one you posted? if not, hope you could share your recipe icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #30 of 34

DebBTX:

Yes, I have done fondant covered, see the pic link in my above post. Yes it will need to be stored in the fridge before presentation and service. After that, it has the same shelf life of any other cake with a perishable filling.

maimai16:
the milky recipe is just for the tres leches. For all other cakes, my simple syrup is just a 1:1 ratio by volume of sugar and water plus flavoring to taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%