Frozen Cakes And Decorating...

Decorating By HeathJS28 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm by HeathJS28

HeathJS28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeathJS28 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 4

So I made my cakes Monday...and they have been in the freezer. I read on this website (which has some awesome advice and topics ... and I love it)...ok got off topic for a bit....anyway...to unthaw in the fridge and then sit out on the counter for an hour or two before decorating....

Ok...so I'm going to decorate the cake tomorrow afternoon/night. What do I do with it overnight? Put it back in the fridge? Will it not dry out sitting in the fridge uncovered? Because it's such an odd shape (daisy) I have no way to cover it except with tin foil ...and I really don't want to risk hurting my designs.

3 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 4

ok...this is the way we do all our cakes. ... we bake several days or sometimes weeks ahead of time....cool the cakes...wrap in saran, unfilled and unstacked. The night before I am to decorate we set the cakes on the kitchen counter, covered...I do put a small slit in the saran so excess moisture does not build up while thawing and make a sticky top...The next day I just crumb coat, ice and decorate...never had a complaint about a dry cake...we do slightly underbake, a few crumbs left on toothpick. good luck

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 4

I take mine out of the freezer also and set covered on the counter to thaw. Then I fill and decorate. I have had no problems with them being dry. Good luck

HeathJS28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeathJS28 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 4

thank you so much. Ya'll have been such an amazing help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%