New Here...question About Transferring Roses...

Decorating By HeathJS28 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 2:15am by tasteebakes

HeathJS28 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hey all. I'm new here and found this forum while trying to find ideas for my daughters first birthday cake. For the Party cake, I did the dancing daisy Wilton pan. I did a sample a month or so ago...

This was my trial go at it and also late at night. So, forgive that it's not spectacular. icon_lol.gif

Anyway, so for her smash cake...I went a little over the top I think. I am new to cake decorating and wanted to try my hand at some roses and daisys for her cake. I made the roses last night, and played around with making the daisy's. Both turned out moderately well. I'm using the Wilton premade icing in the tubs. Anyway, I did them on squares of parchment paper. How do I get roses OFF the parchment paper and placed onto my cake with out damaging the roses? Also, since the daisy's are do I get them off. Will they dry hard and just slide off? I am not really sure as the book (Wilton course 1 & 2) doesn't really cover how to get them OFF the cake. I'm also self teaching that might explain some of my ignorance. icon_lol.gif

Yes, I know...a little of the top for the smash cake, but it's just something I wanted to do...and I didn't have time to do a BIG cake for everybody and decorated it nicely like that.

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated. Her party is Saturday. Right now my roses are cooling it in the fridge. icon_lol.gif[img][/img]

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. The flowers can be frozen and then transfered with a small knife or spatula. You can also use scissors to lift the flower from the paper. Work quickly, as they thaw, the flowers get sticky fast.

Depending on the icing, you can also air-dry them. once they are a bit 'crusty' they transfer fairly easy in the same manner

HeathJS28 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for that suggestion. I never thought about sissors. The daisy's are flat on the paper where the rose kinda sits up. I am going to play around with it some more tonight and see what I can do. I don't know how i'll use the sissors on those.

hammer1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 6

go with the freezer....just place all the made flowers on something flat and pop in the freezer for a several minutes....once cold they just pop off the parchment or wax paper. I make roses well in advance for big cakes so that the decorating process is really fast. Mix your roses with some cut out fondant flowers and the process is really quick, there are several cakes in my pictures done like this.

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 6

I recommend air drying as the best method, if you have the time. But frozen or air dried, just run a knife under the rose (between the rose nd the paper) and lift it onto the cake.

Daisy petals are usually curved upward. An inexpensive way to do this is to cut the paper towel cardboard core in half (so now you have two "troughs" that are "U" shaped). Lay the daisies (on their wax or parchment paper square) inside the trough. As they dry, the "U" shape of the cardboard core will hold them in place and the petals will dry with a curve to them. This adds great dimension to your cake decor, too! thumbs_up.gif

tasteebakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #6 of 6

I use scissors to lift mine off, I have pictures of step by step rose making on my website

I never make them beforehand though. I always make them as I'm placing them on the cake. I guess you could though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%