What Happened?

Decorating By revel Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm by revel

revel Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 15

I did a wedding cake for a c0-worker a couple of weeks ago. I had them pick it up Friday for a Sat. wedding as i was going out of town.

The brides BIL picked it up and took it to the reception site where it would be stored overnight. Another co-worker sent me this pic!

I can't believe this icon_eek.gif What happened to my cake? Somehow its melting? I can see beads of water on the fondant! Anyone know what could've happened?
Should i offer a refund?

Here's a pic. Sorry the B&G are in it. I don't know how to fix that.

*Moderator Edited photo*

14 replies
revel Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 15

A pic of the cake before it left my house is in my photos.

Cakechick123 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 15

what the bet someone at the reception placed it in the fridge! That the reason for water on the fondant and the condensation made the black scrolls run. Was the scrolls done in RI?

BTw the 1st version is beautiful! I prefer it without all the flowers icon_smile.gif

terrig007 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 15

I think Riana is correct. Either it got put in the fridge or the freezer. Did you tell BIL that it didn't have to go into the fridge? If you think that since you work with this person, a refund is in order to keep the peace at work, then maybe 15% would be the max but I don't think it's necessary. The cake was beautiful.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 15

If it was fine when it left your house I wouldn't give a refund. You can't control what happened to it after it was picked up. I'm guessing someone at the venu put it in the fridge. I bet they were amazed when thay took it out and the scrolls started running. If she complains show her the photo of the cake when it left your house.

tyty Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 15

I'm willing to bet the put it in the fridge.

Did you tell them how to store it?

Janette Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 15

Unless told they may not have known not to put in the fridge.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You can tell it was a Beautiful cake.

I hope you took a picture before it was picked up to show how Beautiufl it was.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 15

yes...I agree with all the others. it looks as if someone stored the cake in the fridge...after it gets taken out of there the fondant and cake are starting to thaw and that causes sweating which would've made the scrolls run. the cake was beautiful without all of the flowers! and it was a very nicely done cake!

unless you told them to store it outside of the fridge and they put it in the fridge anyway...I would not give a refund.

revel Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the replys..i was thinking that maybe they had put it in the fridge. Or would a hot kitchen do it?
I had told the BIL(who ws also their photogragher) that it just needed to be in a cool room. Maybe he was thinking the fridge...yikes! I'll talk to the bride when she gets back from her honeymoon.
Oh..yes it was RI I think they added the flowers to detract from the melting scrolls?

lardbutt Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #10 of 15

I remember seeing this cake in the gallery! It WAS so pretty!

I hate that happened to you, but it was not your fault!

DecoratingDingbat Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:35am
post #11 of 15

Why would you even offer a refund? The cake was perfect when you placed it in the BIL hands, and it was probably still perfect when he arrived at the venue. Nothing wrong with the structure obviously, and I'm sure it tasted great. Offering a refund is like admiting this was somehow your error! You can't honestly feel responsible for any of this - and I really don't understand why you would !? It's a bummer thing for the couple to have happen, but unless you were standing there spitting on it how is this even remotely your responsibility? You said you told them a cool room - not refridgerated - BTW - that seems like alot of 'sweat' to me - too much humidity in the room perhaps?

I wonder who else is offering a refund because the humidity also made flowers wilt, desserts not set, hairdo's flatten, mascara run and under arm stains - just kidding of course!

miny Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:27am
post #12 of 15

How sad for the bride, looking at her beautiful cake ruined, of course they try to cover the mess with those horrible flowers but it certanly it's not your fault, you gave them an amazing cake and I strongly believe you are not responsible and should not give any refund.

2sdae Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:03am
post #13 of 15

After it was picked up you are no longer responsible...this isnt something you contributed to happening. Who ever put it in the fridge is responsible for this out come.
So I'd deff speak with the Bride and find out who did it.
You cant help what someone may do with a cake once it is picked up. It's up to whom ever, I believe you said the BIL picked it up. Maybe start with him, where did he leave it, with whom and who had access to it?
If someone picks up a cake and then later drops it...you cant refund for that...this is basically the same thing.
Yes they had a cake that was ruined, but not by you.
It is such a shame as it was gorgeous. Maybe offer the bride a copy of your pic so she can at least have a view of what you did and how lovely it was.
She may need to call and or visit the venue to straighten out who is going to pay for her ruined cake!

CakeWhizz Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 15

I completely agree with everyone that you should not offer a refund. However, it might be a good idea to hand out written instructions and disclaimers when someone comes to pick up their cake and as a good will gesture, you might offer the bride a small anniversary cake.

revel Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the help. Cakewhizz i agree. I'll she what the bride says when she gets back then take it from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%