Crunchy Layer In Cake

Decorating By ski Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm by ski

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a Twix 3d cake and want to replicate the innerds
(is that a word?) anyway I made a sample cake with a shortbread cookie for the center and caramel on top, tasted good but it got soft/ didn't have the crunch I wanted to replicate a real twix bar. Anyone have a suggestion for a good cruchy type layer. I did think of using golden grahams but they don't really taste like shortbread in the candy bar.

TIA ski icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 9

I think anything bread/cereal/cookie like is going to get soft. What about something like toffee bits? It won't taste the same but they will have a crunch to them!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 9

what if you coated the cookie in something? Like toffe, or SOMEthing the moisture wouldn't break down.........just thinking as I go along, andyone have any ideas what may have this quality? What If you put the actual Twix bar IN the cake??

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 9

yeah, I would definitely try filling it with actual twix bars, whole so that the cookie is protected.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 9

Ski-
I was just talking to someone last week who makes a butterfinger cake. She makes choc cake and then folds in broken butterfinger bars to her BC. Maybe just try that? Unless you cover the shortbread in chocolate I'm not sure you are gonna get what you're looking for... Good Luck- did you finish the wedding cake yet?

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 9

I have never tried it, but have always wanted to, but I've heard of using a layer of baked meringue in the middle as a filling (there is a name for it, but it is so not coming to mind right now). If you flavored it it could taste cookie-ish. The difficulty would be your area and the humidity-it may not be possible to cook a crispy meringue.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

I have never tried it, but have always wanted to, but I've heard of using a layer of baked meringue in the middle as a filling (there is a name for it, but it is so not coming to mind right now). If you flavored it it could taste cookie-ish. The difficulty would be your area and the humidity-it may not be possible to cook a crispy meringue.

That was what I was going to say. I have that book by DeDe Wilson, I think its called Wedding Cakes you can make and it has a cake with discs of meringue in it. Looks interesting.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 9

This won't be the flavor you're looking for, but I have used these many times. My family loves them in between the filling.

I create my dam, then add a thin layer of SMBC in between. I drop these in, then cover them with more SMBC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 9

thanks everyone excellent ideas! I think I like the actual twix bars as a filling! I will try this weekend..let ya know...not finished yet with wedding cake, this coming week...right now Zamboni...........Thanks again everyone for your fast responses!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%