How Many Dowels: Need Help Please

Decorating By tex8798 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm by kakeladi

tex8798 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 tier square wedding cake due on Saturday. I need help finding out how many dowels to put in cake. I am using the square 2inch 16, 10, and 8 pans. The cake will be off set. If I could get a visual that would be great too. Thanks for you help.

2 replies
SugarLover2 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't done square, but I always put a dowel in the center of the bottom and 2nd layers and then 4 more around it-in the corners. With something this heavy though, I'd be inclined to put 4 extra-one for each side as well. So that would be 9 on the bottom and 2nd layer. That may be overkill, but I'm somewhat of a newbie and would rather be safe than sorry.

kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

In the 16" mark where the 10"er will go and put one in each corner, then one between each of those for a total of 8; in the 10"er, mark where the next cake will go and place a dowel at each corner. This one does not need the extras in the centers.
One should NOT put a dowel where the center of any cake is. This puts too much of the weight in the center and not enough at the corners/outter edges, which can cause the plate to crack; cardboards to b end icon_sad.gif

A dowel down the center of the whole cake will help hold all the tiers together for transportation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%