Get A Smoother Cake Texture?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm by joy5678

joy5678 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 14

I have always used Duncan Hines box mixes w/no problem. Lately my cakes seem to have a more grainey, thick texture with holes? I don't think I'm doing anything different but my cakes are just not coming out right! icon_cry.gif Anyone experiencing the same thing or have any info to share on why this may be happening? I'm baffled & not sure which direction to do for my next cakes. Help, anyone?? icon_sad.gif

13 replies
Tashablueyes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 14

I don't know if it would help you specifically but I add about 1/4 to 1/2 of AP flour to every store bought cake mix I make and I don't get those huge bubbles anymore, and I can also carefully pick up a torted cake layer without it breaking... NO way I could have done that before!

joy5678 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 14

I'll give that a try Tasha, thanks!

Tashablueyes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 14

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice, but I figure since it's so cheap and simple it's definitely worth trying. I do like the WASC cakes too but they come out so moist and fudgy that I don't always use them.

pjaycakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 14

Also, don't overmix your batter. I always sift the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on stir to get everything mixed. Scrape down the bowl and turn it on medium for about 30 seconds (literally). I've noticed less of the holes that way. HTH.

kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 14

Whenever I have had holes in my baked cake it was because I did not have enough liquid in the batter. Sometimes it might mean as little extra as a tablespoon but it can make a difference.

joy5678 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all the tips. I try not to overmix but may need to watch the liquids closer.

Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 14

I sift mine and this is so helpful and has improved the texture and prevented the holes.

indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaycakes

Also, don't overmix your batter. I always sift the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on stir to get everything mixed. Scrape down the bowl and turn it on medium for about 30 seconds (literally). I've noticed less of the holes that way. HTH.

totally agree. I think sifting the cake mix is key. ever since I started to sift, my cake texture is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I also used to run the mixer for a LONG time to get a silky smooth batter ... but since I started sifting, it's just like pjay said above ..... mix for about 2 minutes total, if that long, and it's silky smooth.

One thing I do is add my oil dead last. Oil and water don't mix well but oil and batter mix great. So I give the water a chance to mix with the dry ingred's first, then add the oil.

joy5678 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:00am
post #10 of 14

You gals have really been a help. I have never sifted my box mixes before, but I have noticed it seemed to be lumpier lately. I'll start sifting & adding my oil last. Thanks icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #11 of 14

Do you tap the pans on the countertop before placing them in the oven? That will bring the big bubbles up.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

arosstx Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #12 of 14

I do the tapping thing too, and it seems to help. My husband gets tired of all the racket though, and wants to invent a machine to jiggle the pans for me! Wouldn't that be cool? icon_lol.gif

mrsscholler Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 14

I agree that you should tap the pans on the counter it always works

joy5678 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 14

OOOOh, yes-I do the tapping (banging thing too)! My DH just luvs that part of if. He always knows when I'm baking by the racket I make. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%