No Saran Wrap!

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 2:36am by sandykay

TheCakerator Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 15

I always wrap my cakes in saran wrap while cooling in the fridge, but realized today I don't have any ... is there something other people use to keep the moistness in while cooling in the fridge?

14 replies
JoAnnB Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 15

Unless I have an emergency, I never cool my cakes in the fridge.

Also putting hot/warm cake in the fridge will mess with the temperature in your fridge. The health department would have a fit

kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 15

A plastic bag.........NOT a garbage bag!! ... works just fine. Use one that you bought fresh fruit in -- that kind or a big ziploc....anything like that.

melvin01 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 15

Aluminum Foil will work, too.

melvin01 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 15

Oh, and before someone jumps on me about it, I usually keep the cake in the pan and wrap the top of the pan in foil, not directly on the cake.

woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 15

I don't use them, but why not a new garbage bag, curiously?

kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 15

Almost all garbage bags now come impregnated w/insectiside icon_sad.gif

Melvin01 I notice you quickly added to your posticon_smile.gif Foil very quickly developes pinholes so it's not 'air-tight'; a,lso there is a chemical reaction bweteen food & foil that 'eats' the foil again developing holes that most people cannot see but allows air in.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Almost all garbage bags now come impregnated w/insectiside icon_sad.gif

I'm sorry, but I googled this and I don't find this to be the case, at least not here in the US. There are some patents looking to do this, but I can't find a major manufacturer who impregnates their bags with insecticide. If they did, I'm sure that it would be prominently displayed on the box--as an added feature for which they'd charge more money (the ones I did find are 80 bags for $48 icon_eek.gif )

I did find good news at Glad--their 4 gallon, small garbage bags ARE approved for food storage ! Directly from their website:

"The only type of our garbage and trash bags that is currently approved for food storage is the GLAD Small Garbage Bag (4 gallon capacity). This is clearly indicated on each carton.

Our other trash and garbage products are made from plastic resins that are not recommended for food storage use. Of course, the resin used for GLAD Food Storage Bags has been approved by the FDA for contact with foods."

HTH
Rae

kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 15

........googled this and I don't find this to be the case........did find good news at Glad--their 4 gallon, small garbage bags ARE approved for food storage ! Directly from their website: "The only type of our garbage and trash bags that is currently approved for food storage is the GLAD Small Garbage Bag (4 gallon capacity). This is clearly indicated on each carton.

Well then how come all the 'kitchen garbage can bags' I have used smell of insectiside? icon_sad.gif
I am very glad to hear GLAD's bag is safe to use!
Thanks for checking that out for us.

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #10 of 15

[quote="kakeladi"]Well then how come all the 'kitchen garbage can bags' I have used smell of insectiside? icon_sad.gif[quote]

Oh, I agree, they sure do smell like insecticide, but it's probably just because plastics and insecticides are all made from/or include petroleum distillates. The distillates in the insecticides are the materials that carry the bug killer, not acutally the killer itself.

I've had to put very large cakes that will be frozen into garbage bags. I box the cake, cover the box with saran wrap, cover it again with aluminum foil, and then put it in the garbage bag--not my favored way of handling things, but it's the way I feel certain that no odors/air/ice/water will get anywhere near the cake.

Rae

kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 15

,,,,, box the cake, cover the box with saran wrap, cover it again with aluminum foil, and then put it in the garbage bag-........

Well I certainly can see if you do all that. My thought was just putting the *cake* directly inot the garbage bag -- sure don't recdomment thaticon_sad.gif

TheCakerator Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 15

thanks for the suggestions everyone ... I ran up to a party store and bought some saran wrap from there ...

crafty_mom Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #13 of 15

Sorry, but i can't help but laugh. icon_wink.gif All that debate over garbage bags, and then she just runs out and buys more suran wrap. I nearly wet myself laughing. hehehe

Jen

TheCakerator Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #14 of 15

glad I could make someone laugh! I waited for some answers, but decided it would be faster to just run up to the corner market and grab some ... but it was interesting reading!

sandykay Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #15 of 15

I agree with Jen it is kinda funny, however I did learn something new about garbage bags, thanks for the saftey news. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%