Luster Dust On Butter Cream??

Decorating By Candy120 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm by MOBOGAL

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 5

sorry if this has been discussed before...I did a search for this topic and there were 38,163 responses and I don't have time to read them all.

Can you use Luster Dust or Pearl Dust on Buttercream or it is just for fondant? I just want to highlight some flowers on a wedding cake is all.

Thanks...

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 5

Yah, it can be done if you h ave crusting b'cream.
Sometimes it will leave brush streaks - again depending on the b'cream recipe.

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 5

I just tried this for the first time, and it worked great! I used the air dried buttercream recipe on the site, and made my roses the day before to airdry. Then I mixed the Luster dust with lemon extract and painted the roses silver. I only needed 1 coat to get them that silver. Here's the cake if you'd like to see how it turned out. FYI I used Wilton Silver Petal Dust. Hope this helps!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253371

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

air dried buttercream?? Is that how the recipe is listed?? I haven't heard of this one and might like to check it out

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 5

Yup...the recipe is here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2278-Airdried-Buttercream-Icing.html

I LOVE this recipe, it works great. I like it much better than royal icing, b/c it tastes good! The flowers dry hard on the outside, but the inside stays soft like buttercream. Almost all of my flowers have been done with this recipe. Plus, there's nothing perishable in it, so the flowers last a long time. Just remember not to refrigerate them until they have dried...once they are dry then they are fine in the fridge. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%