Pleas Help With This Replica

Decorating By kimkim546 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm by foxymomma521

kimkim546 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkim546 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone, I really need some help. I'm making a replica of my cousins Wedding Cake for their 15 yr Anniversary THIS WEEKEND! It is a suprise party, So I'm not able to ask the couple questions about the cake. I can't tell if this is a lace pattern or a star tip or what.
I don't think it will be a make or break thing if it is not exact, But I want it to resemble the Original as much as possible
I am attaching a photo, any comments, tips, or photos would be appreciated
LL

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 11

The photo certainly is not clear enough to tell icon_sad.gif
That perticular style cake is fimilar to me but I don't have my books around to ck it out - sorry.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, the pattern is difficult to decipher from the picture, even when enlarged.

My opinion -

It is either sotas or star tip. Given the choice, I would do sotas. It looks like a basic shell border to me.

Very easy cake.

Please let us know what you decided to do, and post a pic for us. Can't wait to see it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 11

I agree with Sotas... I played with the contrast on the pic to see the pattern better, and it looks like sotas or cornelli lace with a shell border. Should be pretty easy! Good Luck!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 11

I blew it up too and you really can't tell exactly what it is. The sides almost seem to look like some type of basketweave but this isn' the kind of cake that normally has basketweave on there. I thought about sota or corelli lace but the pattern seemed to even for that. Is there any way that you can get information from family without alerting the bride and groom?

kimkim546 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 11

Ok, Thanks so, much everyone. I am a little confused on the Sotas technique. Is that the the Cornelli Lace, but the strings more looped on top of each other? That is how it looks. Thanks again for your imput! I will try to post picts when complete.

foxymomma521 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 11

If you look at the bottom tier, I think it looks like cornelli lace.
LL

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 11

kimkim546 -

You are correct about how to do sotas. For more information on them, go to this link on the Wilton website -

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Sotas

Considering your time constraints, I would suggest you do these instead of cornelli lace, which requires more precision and time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kimkim546 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all the advise If I hadn't gotten the advice, I porbably would have went with some messed up Star tip version. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. As requested I am posting a photo of the replica.
LL

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 11

See, I told you it was an easy cake to do. And you were worried.

Glad we could help.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 11

Looks just like the original- great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%