Same Business Name

Business By cupsncakes Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:07am by MichelleM77

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have been running my registered business from home since October last year. I am in Australia and when I was looking for a name I searched on the Australian business name registry, and didn't find anyone else the same. I am called Cups 'n Cakes, because I have a cupcake stall at my local farmer's market and I also take orders for large cakes. Anyway, my hubby and I are in the process of putting together a website and tonight when we ran a trial and uploaded it to the net we discovered that there is another cupcake busines in Singapore with the same name, it came up on Google straight away. I don't know how I never found this before, but now I'm wondering if this could be a problem when people search for me. How does it work? What determines what comes up on the google search list first? I feel as if I've done too much to change my name now, but I'm not sure what to do. BTW the Cupcakes on the Singapore site were just beautiful icon_smile.gif
Any advise would be really helpful. TIA

3 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 4

Hidden meta tags are what the search engines pull up and "read" on your website. I had a section on my website-building software where I could put in hundreds of words. Make sure you add things like Cups 'n Cakes Australia and Cups 'n Cakes Adelaide, etc., to help get the right listings. Once you do add them, it takes a few days to maybe a week for the search engines to crawl and get the meta tags. I think on Google you can add your website to a list for them to hit sooner, maybe a few days instead of weeks. Then, Google trying to find your website and if it doesn't come up, then make sure you add whatever search term you used to your meta tag list.

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Michelle, I don't think we've got up to to doing that yet. We've just started filling in the blanks on the website template. I'll have to start making a list of LOTS of words! I'd be happy if mine just came up on the list with the site in Singapore, then my customers would be able to figure out where I am. I can't believe I never google searched my own business name before, I should have done back in the beginning just to see what happened.

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 4

No problem. I don't know much about building a website, but I did learn about meta tags and their importance while using Homestead to build my website. When I Google my name using common phrases I hope people will use, I usually come up in the top 10, which is good enough for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%