Hello Cupcake Almost Homemade Buttercream Icing

Baking By marag Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 1:32am by marag

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 14

Just wondering if any of you have made this. It's the recipe with Marshmallow Fluff. Does it crust or do I need to add more powdered sugar? How well does it pipe? How did you store it? It's very humid here, so I'd like to refrigerate it, if possible.

I am wanting to make it with banana flavoring, pipe a swirl, and then place a royal icing decoration on it.

Thanks for any feedback!

Mara

13 replies
Dana8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 14

It is absolutely delicious, but does not crust and pipes okay. I wouldnt recommend it for piping or flowers. But give it a try, it is sooo yummy!!!

marag Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 14

Will it hold a swirl, or is it too runny?

Dana8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 14

Yes I made the swirl with the 1M tip and it did hold.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 14

Can you share the recipe? Sounds so good.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 14

I just made it. I used 2 tsp of banana extract in place of the vanilla. I also added an extra 1/2 cup of powdered sugar because I thought it tasted too buttery. I put it in the refrigerator b/c I don't need it until Saturday. I don't know if it needs to be re-whipped, but hopefully it will turn out good.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 14

I use the recipe from this site. I love it. I use it 99% of the time. It's not overly sweet.

I've used it as a base for all kinds of flavors. Most recently chocolate malt, raspberry.

People just love it. I've used royal icing decorations on them and also fondant. Only thing is if they sit too long covered the decorations will get soft, especially the fondant.

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 14

Cookiemookie..... what recipe is it that you use?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 14

I always add a lot more c. sugar and it still tastes great! I just keep adding until I get the right consistency that I want depending on what I use it for. The Hello Cupcake recipe doesn't add the lemon juice.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 14

This is the recipe I use.

I will have to try that other one, it sounds interesting.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2110-Marshmallow-Creme-Buttercream.html

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 14

It sounds pretty much the same Cookie! YUM!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:31am
post #13 of 14

I'm going to give that recipe a try. I'm totally addicted to buttercream. (And this site icon_biggrin.gif )

marag Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #14 of 14

Well my banana flavored marshmallow buttercream turned out DELICIOUS. I can't believe how great it tasted. However, once it came to room temp, I piped it with a big round tip. and by the time I went to put my royal icing monkey on top, the icing had started to get so soft that I had to put it in the fridge.

Do you think that if I added more powdered sugar that it would help with the consistency? I just worry it would be too sweet.

I'll post a picture soon. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%