Satin Ice Gumpaste?

Decorating By saramachen Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:34am by tracey1970

saramachen Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

I saw premade satin ice gumpaste at a local cake supply store. Has anyone ever used it? How does it compare to the workability of the wilton premade stuff... The satin ice is quite a bit cheaper so i wondered about the quality... im also thinking about making it from scratch... Any suggestions? Im new to gumpaste.

4 replies
PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 5

I don't mind it for figure and such, but I don't like it for flowers at all. I generally make my own but I do keep some SI on hand for when I am in a pinch... just, as I said, not for flowers.

snowshoe1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 5

The Satin Ice gumpaste works very nicely. I've used it several times for flowers and figures.

I prefer to make my own and use the Nicolas Lodge recipe - but sometimes it sure is nice to just buy some and pull it out of a bucket! icon_wink.gif Here is the link for NL gumpaste:

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Haven't tried the wilton so I can't compare.

jessienj Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 5

I have tried it and liked it but found that even after being dry for months, if humidity touched it, it melted. I've put that gumpaste and things I've made with SCW's recipe, and only SCW's gumpaste survives so I stopped using the stuff from a bucket.

tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 5

I've used it (and the Wilton pre-made). Not had a problem with either, but I am not a frequent gumpaste user. I find Satin Ice gumpaste more like a fondant as far as texture, compared to Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%