Need Some Ideas...

Decorating By ebear Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm by ebear

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:04am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone..I need some ideas. I'm drawing a blank.
My daughters birthday is in Oct and she has chosen Tinkerbell as her theme. But because her birthday is close to Halloween I want to incorporate Halloween into her cake/birthday party. I'm just not sure exactly what to do so that it won't look silly and out of place. I've decided to pull the purple colour out of all the Tinkerbell stuff (napkins etc) because that is a Halloween colour but thats as far as I've gotten. I want to do a practice cake first if I can..

TIA.. icon_smile.gif

18 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #2 of 19

The first thing that popped into my mind was Tinkerbell in a pumpkin patch the purple and orange would go together well. Maybe do her wings in black like a bat and have little bats flying around.
Hope this helps

Jibbies

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 19

Ditto Jibbies, I too immediately thought of a pumpkin patch. The last picture that mpaigew posted is just the right pose that came to mind. Add some gold luster dust to the decorations and you'll bring out the Tinkerbell touch. Love the little bats flying around - great touch. It should be adorable. I can't wait to see the finished product. Good Luck.

ebear Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks everyone so far for your suggestions.
Now I'm thinking I may do Tinkerbell sitting on a pumpkin (I'll have to buy a doll..I don't have that kind of talent to make her out of GP or fondant) and then put the pumpkin on a half slab and add bats somehow...clearly my ideas are scattered... icon_biggrin.gif LOL But at least I'm getting some now thanks you to you guys..

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 19

I like her coming out of a pumpkin wearing witch hat. I think you can do a pumpkin with a Bundt pan. I remember seeing a cute tip for that somewhere. Good Luck!!!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 19

I think that is a great idea of having her sitting on a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern! (or standing if you cannot find a sitting Tink to purchase).

If you wanted to a black witch hat and broom out of fondant to put on her, too, that would be cute. Tink goes trick or treating!

What a fun idea to work with!

woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 19
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 19
ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 19

You could do a Chocolate Transfer Tinkerbell - that way you don't have to use a doll and you can dress her up however you'd like to!

ebear Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 19

Oooooooooooh.....this is going to be SO much fun! The bundt pan pumpkin is really cute! If I put that on a slab (or half slab or whatever) would I have to dowel it? I think I'm going to have LOTS of cake...what am I saying?!?!? You can NEVER have too much cake! icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 19

I don't think you would have to dowel, depending on the fill you use, then you could always just sticka couple of straws in it to keep it form sliding. But it is for your daughter, so you won't be going very far with it, right?

ebear Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 19

Yes..its for my daughter...I have a bundt pan but its pretty big. Maybe the sports ball pan would be better and I could pipe the lines on the pumpkin. But I really do like the look the bundt pan achieved.
I'll probably only fill any of the cakes with BC if I fill them at all. Shes only young she won't care about that..As long as the cake is sweet... icon_biggrin.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 19

You could also get the wilton min bundt pans and place it on top of a sheet cake, perhaps in the midst of a pumpkin patch with a few ghosts running about. I used the mini budt pan to make the ladybug on my ladybug cake just filled the ridges in with butter cream and frosted it smooth.

woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

You could also get the wilton min bundt pans and place it on top of a sheet cake, perhaps in the midst of a pumpkin patch with a few ghosts running about. I used the mini budt pan to make the ladybug on my ladybug cake just filled the ridges in with butter cream and frosted it smooth.

Now THAT sounds adorable!

ebear Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #16 of 19

URGHHHH! I'm having a hard time finding a Tinkerbell doll... icon_mad.gif I even went to the Disney store! I still have time but I want to do a trial cake before her actual birthday. Sooooo...IF I can't find a doll I'm still going to do the pumpkin thing BUT I was going to make the pumpkin look as though it was carved with Tinkerbell on it. I'm thinking I may be able to do this with either B.C or maybe royal icing. I've never done a chocolate transfer. Would that work too?
Does anyone have thoughts on this?

TIA... icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #17 of 19

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-TINKERBELL-DOLL_W0QQitemZ270266913832QQihZ017QQcategoryZ55425QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
that's cute...........
You probably could do a bc transfer too. You could do it on a curve, I bet, if you put it on your iced pumpkin before it was frozen, THEN stick it in the freezer........you could also do it in a flat black fondant, as though it were cut out of the jackolantern. You could even paint some orange/yellow RI "flames" on it, as though it were illuminated from the inside.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 19

chocolate transfers are SO easy and you can make them look however you like! I did a small 6" Tinkerbell cake for my niece with Tink coming out of a flower - any image you can find of Tinkerbell, you can do a CT of it. It's simply a matter of melting down colored chocolate and using icing bags to trace the image onto waxed paper (or I prefer to use acetate as it's shinier and makes your finished image shinier). Check out the CT's in my photos - they're so easy and I think they look so impressive!

ebear Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks..I may do the chocolate transfer but now I'm on a mission to get the Tinkerbell doll..LOL. I am from Canada and have been to The Disney store, 3 Walmarts, 2 Zellers, 2 Winners and the Bulk store. I am DETERMINED to find her...icon_biggrin.gif I have found a cute candle that may work but now I have a vision in my head as to how I want this cake to look like. Good thing I have lots of time to find one....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%