High-Ratio Or Crisco Type Shortenings

Decorating By LadyMike Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm by Rocketgirl899

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:01am
post #1 of 6

I know that these questions have probably already been answered here but I can't find them and I really need to have answers so I can get my icing/frosting made and I can go to bed. icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

Can you use High-Ratio shortening just like you use any of the Crisco-type shortenings when making icing/frosting? Do you use the exact measurements/weights of each? And, can you still replace some of the shortening in a particular recipe with equal amounts of butter? Is there anything else I need to know about using the High-Ratio shortening?

I'm so confused. icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

TIA
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:57am
post #2 of 6

I always use Sweetex instead of Crisco. Use the same amounts just like you would use the other shortnings. You can still use butter with sweetex. I think my recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup shortning. It depends on the weather, I don't use to much butter if it is humid. good luck

LadyMike Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:45am
post #3 of 6

Thank you Peeg. I had to make a quadruple batch for a 3 tiered cake and I hope I didn't goof it up. I used 4 sticks (2 cups) of butter and 2 cups (14 ounces) of high ratio. I'm not sure what brand of high ratio I have because I bought it from a cake supply store, and they either repackage it, or have it packaged especially for them. Also, our humidity and temps decided to show up just in time for this cake..go figure. BTW, how many cups does your recipe make if you don't mind giving me that info?

Thanks again.
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 6

LadyMike,

The day I found out about Sweetex, I only use Crisco to grease pans. I live in Florida, and because of the high humidity, I use about 6-oz of hi-ratio shortening in my SMBC. I use two types of decorator's buttercream, one with half butter and half hi-ratio and the other with 90% hi-ratio and 10% butter. Your buttercream is creamer and and can get really fluffy. One thing, to get stronger colour in your buttercream with hi-ratio shortening, use Americolors or candy colouring.

Hope this helps.

Jeannie

LadyMike Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 6

Jeannie,

I really appreciate your response. I feel better about the buttercream I made tonight (or I guess it's really this morning). It looks very smooth and it has a good flavor to it also. And, like you said, it is really creamy and fluffy. I just hope it's easy to work with. If it is, this cake is going to be great. I'm going to catch a few winks and start putting everything together this evening.

Thanks Again,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 6

I have used both and prefer Sweetex/ high ratio. But I have used Crisco in a pinch and it turned out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%