General Advice For Beginner?

Decorating By megarinnyroo Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm by cupsncakes

megarinnyroo Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:33am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys thankyou for reading my post.

I am a new comer to cake decorating, having done some for my kids that i thought were good till I saw this site!! I decided to get a qualification and start doing them for money. I start the ABC course in cake decorating level 2 (dont have level one in my area!) in sept. Has anyone done the level 2? What should I expect? Also what are the terms tort and ganache? When i fondant my cakes they always seem to be too soft and I end up with bumpy fondant, everyone says me cakes are moist and delicious, Id just like to get them to look better! Saw a few people like to freeze their cakes before icing them? This does seem to me like it would make the cakes much easier to carve and ice but are they still firmer when they're deffrosted? any general advice on both starting out and the ABC course much appreciated!!

7 replies
BCJean Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:01am
post #2 of 8

Hello megarinnyroo and welcome to CC.

The term torte means to split the cake layer, making two layers, so a filling can be put in.

Ganache is an icing made with equal amounts of chocolate and cream. While it is warm you can pour it over the cake or you can let it cool and sort of whip it up and spread it on the cake with a spatula.

I can't help you with the fondant as I use buttercream only.

As for the classes, I first started decorating in the 70's, they didn't have classes then, I learned from books and trial and error.

One thing we all have in common on here, no matter what kind of decorating we do or how long we have been doing it.....we all love cake decorating!

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:19am
post #3 of 8

My best advice... hang around here you will learn sooooo much. Welcome to CC. I agree with everything said above. The only thing I would add is that when you put fondant on a cake choose a firmer type of cake eg not a light and fluffy sponge, and never try to put fondant on a freshly baked cake. Leave it over night or 24hrs to firm up.

HannahLass Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:23am
post #4 of 8

I to am a newcomer to this, only been doing it for about 2 months so im learning by trial and error. (looked in to taking a course but due to the hours I work it isn't possible and was reluctant to spend $160 to miss half of them. I used fondant on a frozen cake last night when the cake as defrosting inside it caused condensation on the top luckily a shiny cake isnt a problem but I did panic at first. I use a cake recipe I found in a lindy smith book. Works great for me its nice and firm so holds the fondant well whilst being lovely and moist ( have had loads of good comments about it so im going to stick with it. If you want the recipe I can send it to you. She has the recipe for all different sizes of cake and they work really well. Cant help with the course but someone else should be able to.
HanX

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:34am
post #5 of 8

That's true, never put fondant on a frozen cake, and never put fondant in the fridge, it will sweat. I made my sisters wedding cake and the staff at a very resort didn't know that, and they put it in the fridge. Luckily I found out 10 minutes later and completely freaked out... I don't think they'll make that mistake again! I was a bit stressed out that day though, I was the matron of honour and LOTS of stuff went wrong.

PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

never put fondant in the fridge

You can absolutely refrigerate fondant. I use satin ice and have no issues (I refrigerate EVERYTHING). I cannot speak for MMF, of course, as it may behave differently, but even my standard fondant recipe hold up to refrigeration. If you look at blog.pinkcakebox.com (not my site obviously, but I was an intern there) every single one of those cakes was refrigerated throughout the process, including while it was fully decorated.

jibbies Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome to CC.
What is the ABC course.
Hang around here and you will learn tons, if you want to ask any of us a question you can always pm us.

Jibbies

cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Quote:

never put fondant in the fridge

You can absolutely refrigerate fondant. I use satin ice and have no issues (I refrigerate EVERYTHING). I cannot speak for MMF, of course, as it may behave differently, but even my standard fondant recipe hold up to refrigeration. If you look at blog.pinkcakebox.com (not my site obviously, but I was an intern there) every single one of those cakes was refrigerated throughout the process, including while it was fully decorated.

Wow, PinkZiab, I never knew that. I've not used Satin ice, I'm not sure if I can get it in Australia. That would be cool if I could find a fondant that didn't sweat after refridgeration because then I wouldn't have to worry so much about fillings being food safe. I use Bakels Pettinice Ready to Roll, is it the same?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%