Imbc Definitely Worth Making

Decorating By bafishr Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm by sweettoothmom

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 17

I finally took the leap and tried it last night. Took a cake to work iced with IMBC and they ate it up. Everyone liked how it wasn't so sweet and felt like silk.

I made ShirleyW's recipe, easy as pie, er cake icon_biggrin.gif

Will definitely make again.

16 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:21am
post #2 of 17

My favorite icing also. Almost never made any other kind of BC until last year, and it still stands as my fave.
I will have to take a look at ShirleyW's, thanks! Love trying new recipe versions.

Yum!

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:56am
post #3 of 17

I tried it once too and it was so yummy, but the second it came out of the fridge it was melted and incredibly unstable...any idea what I screwed up, or is it just that way?

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 17

I think I read on here that you have to let it come to room temp. and then rewhip. I have some left in the fridge that I'm going to try. HTH.

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

I tried it once too and it was so yummy, but the second it came out of the fridge it was melted and incredibly unstable...any idea what I screwed up, or is it just that way?

This happened to me too. Not sure what went wrong but I'm scared to try again. So many ingredients wasted.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 17

Exactly danijus, I'm nto a professional yet, for now I'm doing this on my own dime and the IMBC I made would have been better off just eaten right out of the bowl as an expensive ( and complicated) bowl of mousse.

datalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datalore Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 17

SMBC (Swiss Meringue) is a lot easier to prepare I think- there is a recipe on here -a few actually and it is always good. Those that are scared should try this version, you don't need to mess around with cooking the syrup beforehand, you just heat the egg whites and sugar together and whip!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 17

Please help the newbie and tell me what IM stands for? I have figured out most of the abbreviations.......but not that one. icon_redface.gif
Thanks, Heather

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 17

So what exactly is the difference between theis and regular buttercream? I've heard it's not as sweet tasting, but about texture and smoothing?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 17

If you like IMBC, you'll love SMBC - the ingredients and taste are exactly the same, but SMBC is easier to make, because you don't have to boil sugar forever, you just heat up the egg whites and sugar to about 140 degrees F, then add it to the mixer, whip it up, and add the butter and flavoring.

There's a big thread on SMBC here on CC, very recent, too.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605-smbc.html

Let us know if you try it, and whether you like this method better.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 17

I love IMBC also and in the beginning some would come out perfect and others would be to drippy. I think the trick to getting it right is the temperature of the syrup. I find that making the sugar reach nothing less than 245 degrees but no more than 250 produces the more stable IMBC. Some recipes I used said 240 and it never seemed to come together right. You can try and see. When it comes out right it is nothing short of pure heaven! icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniabean

When it comes out right it is nothing short of pure heaven! icon_biggrin.gif

The first time I made it I brought it to my gunea pigs at work. Once word got around about it, an entire meeting room emptied to get some cake with "magic frosting".

Cant believe I waited so long to try it, there is a you tube video that helped walk me through it, I dont have the link but search for swiss merignue buttercream!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 17

There's 15 pages worth of information on SMBC in the link I provided two posts up from you.

Take a look. There are a couple of recipe recommendations in there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpllead

Please help the newbie and tell me what IM stands for? I have figured out most of the abbreviations.......but not that one. icon_redface.gif
Thanks, Heather

Hi Heather: to answer your question Italian Meringe ButterCream. I've been there too... Usually I just read the post until I catch what everyone else but me seems to know icon_lol.gif You learn so much in this site, just keep surfing it!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #15 of 17
sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

I finally took the leap and tried it last night. Took a cake to work iced with IMBC and they ate it up. Everyone liked how it wasn't so sweet and felt like silk.

I made ShirleyW's recipe, easy as pie, er cake icon_biggrin.gif

Will definitely make again.

Do you have that recipe? Maybe I am not searching under the right thing but I cant seem to find it. I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you!!!!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #17 of 17

I found it! Sorry I must have been misspelling or something. Can you substitute meringue powder for the egg whites? Has anyone done this and does it render the same texture and flavor?
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you again in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%