Fondant On Partially Frozen Cake?

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 8:35am by HannahLass

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 3

Here's the situation......I have a cake that is carved and some of the parts are very narrow & fragile. I was worried that when I put the fondant on the cake, the weight of it will break these sections as I am trying to apply it. So, I put a thin layer of buttercream on the cake as I normally do before covering it with the fondant and then put it in the freezer just a little while. Not to the point where it was frozen, but just really firm. I pulled it out & the trick worked great, I applied the fondant to the fragile parts & they held up just fine while I trimmed the excess off. However, I noticed that when it started coming down to room temperature, the fondant started to get a little sticky (obviously from the condensation coming off the cake underneath as it warms). I knew this was a possibility which is why I tried to take it out of the freezer before it actually froze. My question now is....does anyone know what is going to happen? It's not bad right now, but do you think it will get worse with time? I would hate for the fondant to turn to mush or something if there are water droplets trapped underneath. If it gets worse, is there a way to fix the problem? I'm just asking so that way if I take a look at the cake in the morning, I will already have advice & know what to do when I go into "panic mode"!

2 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 3

i think if the cake is in a very cool room, it will be fine when it evaporates. a fan in the room will help too.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:35am
post #3 of 3

I did this last night it was glossy when I went to bed but when I checked this morning it was fine. None of the decorations fell off the sides either bonus. I

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%