Cane Sugar

Decorating By Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 21

I see a lot of recipes call for CANE SUGAR. Does it really make any difference if you use âPure Cane Sugarâ or âSugarâ which may contain CANE and/or BEET sugar? If it does make a difference, what would it be? This question applies to both granulated and powdered sugar. Does it mix differently with other ingredients, is it grainier, taste different, affect cooking, nutritional value, separate when used in icing. . .? It usually isnât a huge difference in cost, but sometimes a store only has one brand and itâs not âPure Cane Sugarâ. Personally I havenât noticed anything different, but I try to stick with the âCaneâ just in case. Any thoughts?

20 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 21

I always thought it made a big difference until I could get beet sugar at a much better price. It didn't. But I'm not baking from scratch. Don't know if that does matter.

leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 21

Nah, no difference. BTW, can sugar is not vegan, if that ever comes up. Beet sugar is vegan. Tuck it away in your memory - it will probably be a Jeopardy question some day.

indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 21

Here is a great article re the differences in baking/cooking that it makes. I also found interesting the comment at the end of the article by the person who is allergic to beet sugar but can eat cane sugar just fine.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/03/31/FD91867.DTL

From the C&H website: http://www.chsugar.com/consumer/cane_vs_beet.html

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Nah, no difference. BTW, can sugar is not vegan, if that ever comes up. Beet sugar is vegan. Tuck it away in your memory - it will probably be a Jeopardy question some day.




This may be a dumb question, but why is cane sugar NOT VEGAN? Sugar Cane is actually A tall tropical southeast Asian grass (Saccharum officinarum)! Isn't grass about the only thing a true vegan WILL eat? icon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Nah, no difference. BTW, can sugar is not vegan, if that ever comes up. Beet sugar is vegan. Tuck it away in your memory - it will probably be a Jeopardy question some day.



This may be a dumb question, but why is cane sugar NOT VEGAN? Sugar Cane is actually A tall tropical southeast Asian grass (Saccharum officinarum)! Isn't grass about the only thing a true vegan WILL eat? icon_lol.gif



I could be way off base here, but when my cousin was Vegan, he didn't eat cane sugar because he didn't support the treatment of the workers who harvested it...

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here is a great article re the differences in baking/cooking that it makes. I also found interesting the comment at the end of the article by the person who is allergic to beet sugar but can eat cane sugar just fine.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/03/31/FD91867.DTL

From the C&H website: http://www.chsugar.com/consumer/cane_vs_beet.html




icon_lol.gif

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:26am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here is a great article re the differences in baking/cooking that it makes. I also found interesting the comment at the end of the article by the person who is allergic to beet sugar but can eat cane sugar just fine.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/03/31/FD91867.DTL

From the C&H website: http://www.chsugar.com/consumer/cane_vs_beet.html



icon_lol.gif




My responce didn't work last time:

WOW! That blows my theory that they are the same! But was this all funded by the Cane Growers? I smell a conspiracy (or maybe thatâs the cake in my oven burning-I better go check!)

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Nah, no difference. BTW, can sugar is not vegan, if that ever comes up. Beet sugar is vegan. Tuck it away in your memory - it will probably be a Jeopardy question some day.



This may be a dumb question, but why is cane sugar NOT VEGAN? Sugar Cane is actually A tall tropical southeast Asian grass (Saccharum officinarum)! Isn't grass about the only thing a true vegan WILL eat? icon_lol.gif


I could be way off base here, but when my cousin was Vegan, he didn't eat cane sugar because he didn't support the treatment of the workers who harvested it...




That just shows he was compassionate â it doesnât explain the vegan part unless the workers being mistreated were animals (other than humans)

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #10 of 21

Cane sugar is whitened with bone ash.

indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I could be way off base here, but when my cousin was Vegan, he didn't eat cane sugar because he didn't support the treatment of the workers who harvested it...




I think those are two different things. I can be Libertarian and vegetarian but it doesn't mean Libertarians don't eat meat. Your cousin was vegan and didn't eat cane sugar (for personal reasons), but that doesn't mean vegans don't eat cane sugar.

sandykay Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 21

WOW ladies you bring up some intresting points,I've always stuck with the cane sugar.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #13 of 21

Indy, vegans do not eat cane sugar. They buy vegan sugar. True vegans don't eat honey or wear silk, either.

indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Indy, vegans do not eat cane sugar. They buy vegan sugar. True vegans don't eat honey or wear silk, either.




No kidding? I knew about the honey and the silk (animal by-products), but what is "animal" about cane sugar?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #15 of 21

Pork fat rules in my house, so I have no concept of veganism. But here's a great article that answers the question, "Is sugar vegan?" It discusses the differences between processed cane sugar and beet sugar.

http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qasugar.htm

indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:52am
post #16 of 21

Kim, great article that totally cleared up the "why" on this vegan/sugar question. I now understand ..... thanks!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #17 of 21

Getting back to the original question, in theory there should be no difference between beet sugar and cane sugar. I read up on sugar at www.fda.gov and anything labeled as sugar, cane sugar, beet sugar, raw sugar, or turbinado sugar are all sucrose, which is composed of glucose + fructose.

My conclusion is that their physical properties (powder, small crystals, or large crystals) can affect how easily they may be incorporated into a mixture, but chemically they are all the same.

As we learned earlier, sugar derived from beets is processed less than that derived from sugar cane and is therefore less expensive. When it comes to sugar, powdered or granular, I am not a brand shopper. I buy what's cheapest first. If only one brand is available or is on sale for a really good price, then that's what I'm taking home. I stock up on powdered sugar everywhere that I go. I can honestly say that I've never noticed a difference.

My stockpile currently contains:
Domino brand (ingredients: pure cane sugar,cornstarch), Target's Market Pantry brand (ingredients: sugar,cornstarch), Sam's Bakers & Chefs brand (ingredients: sugar,cornstarch), aWalMart's Great Value brand (ingredients: cane sugar, cornstarch).

I never realized that cornstarch is added to prevent caking. Learned something new!

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #18 of 21

So back to my original question, has anyone (personally â not in an article) noticed any difference between sugar (that may contain beet and/or cane sugar) and pure cane sugar (in icing, baking, flavor, texture, etc.)? How do you do the opinion polls with a message? I tried it, but I must have dune it wrong.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #19 of 21

I'll stand by my original answer, before I opened the vegan issue - nah.

PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #20 of 21

I only use pure cane sugar. I'm not really worried about how beet sugar might affect my baking because i doubt it would, but I also am practicing my sugar work (pulled, blown, etc) and anything but pure cane sugar just doesn't cut it.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I only use pure cane sugar. I'm not really worried about how beet sugar might affect my baking because i doubt it would, but I also am practicing my sugar work (pulled, blown, etc) and anything but pure cane sugar just doesn't cut it.



That is what I am trying to find out! when you say"I also am practicing my sugar work (pulled, blown, etc) and anything but pure cane sugar just doesn't cut it", Are you saying that because you were told that it wouldnât cut it, and don't want to take the chance, or have you tried it and had a bad experience?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%