Stiffy - Royal Icing

Decorating By mermaidontop Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm by kakeladi

mermaidontop Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 6

This has been asked a million times but if someone can direct me to a good recipe for very stiff royal Icing I made some a month ago, it was perfect but can't remember what I used. There are some slight variations out there, but the couple I tried didn't work.

5 replies
KoryAK Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

I just use egg whites and powdered sugar to consistency. You can make it as stiff or a thin as you need.

wrightway777 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

Look up "Antonia74 Royal Icing"here on CC - she uses it for outlining cookies but I've used it to pipe with before. If you need it thinner just do as she suggests and add small amounts of warm water at a time. I try tons of recipes. Oh get your kitchen scale out for this recipe she calls for 2.25 lbs of PS.

kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

The biggest factor in making stiff royal icing is to be *super sure* everything is super clean....not a trace of grease anywhere. Do not use anything plastic for measuring or beating w/or in. Then make sure you beat it enough - the time depends on what you are using to beat it with.

Cake_Princess Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The biggest factor in making stiff royal icing is to be *super sure* everything is super clean....not a trace of grease anywhere. Do not use anything plastic for measuring or beating w/or in. Then make sure you beat it enough - the time depends on what you are using to beat it with.

Just to clarify this, if you are going to be using plastic equipment make sure it's reserved ONLY for making royal icing. I have plastic airtight canisters that I use to store my royal icing in.

Also, if you use featherweight bags reserve some strictly for use with royal icing.

kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 6

......... if you use featherweight bags reserve some strictly for use with royal icing........

Actually once royal is properly made there is no need to keep seperate bags &/or tips as many people think. It's in the making of the royal that the problem is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%