Music, Shamrocks, Red, Black, Silver Design Help!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 11:56am by Jennifer353

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I just received a request for a 65th birthday cake to feed 100 (so a tiered cake) and was wondering if any one had any ideas!?

The lady is planning her own party and would like me to incorporate her colors of red, black, silver and small amounts of emerald green. She would also like it to include musical notes (she is a musician) and shamrocks (she is Irish). She doesn't want it to look like a wedding cake.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to incorporate all these colors and elements and still have it look elegant and not to much like a wedding cake.

Any ideas?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 6

The music notes could be made in royal so you can hang them from the bottom edge of the cake; you could make them white, black or paint them w/silver dust.
Shamrocks could also be royal (colorflo) and stand up on the top &/or in the seperation(s). Of course these would be emerald green.
Earlene Moor made a really great, elegant music cake using this basic idea in all white & gold. It's probably still on her site.......look it up.......I *think* it's earlenemoor.com

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 6

You could use a musical passage that has meaning.
Make the music staff with the lines in silver, notes in black, treble and bass clef in red, with a green 'time signature'.

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:27am
post #4 of 6

My first thought was jewelery..but how about a tiered cake, with the top tier looking like a crest. (shape i'm thinking about is if you took the top part off a heart shape). Then make a Red diagonal slash (like a ribbon) from top right to bottom left. You could put her name Cindy in it. Then the top left make a green shamrock and on bottom right you could make black musical notes. the background to top tier could all be silver. The bottom tiers keep white and add little shamrock / and or notes.
Just a thought...

Lisa

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:56am
post #6 of 6

Thinking about not making it like a wedding cake - would 6 little cakes work plus an individual/cupcake? I just tried to think of something thats not normally used for weddings (although I realise multiple cakes often are).

Each cake could be 10 years with them gradually tiered up (but beside each other as opposed to stacked) and the little one be the 5 years on the top but put something to connect them together like a silver fondant rope trailing between them. Use sheet music to cover boxes of incrementing height as the stands. The black, silver and red could be used on the larger cakes and then have the little one decorated in black with lots of shamrocks on top (maybe like a crock of gold but with shamrocks instead?)

In my head I think it might work really well but not sure of the details and how to describe it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%