Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Please! Deleted In Crash

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 4:07am by KKC

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 10

Someone on here had given me a recipe for a sweet potato pie and I guess that topic got deleted in the crash because I can not find it when I look thru my stuff. Can someone please give me a/some recipes so I can see if I can find the one I had. I had so many compliments on it last year. thanks everyone

9 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 10

Heres a surefire recipe for sweet potato pie...
Its my family's recipe from Mississippi

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
2 cups granulated sugar
1 small can (5 ounces, about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 prepared pie shells, unbaked

Preparation:
Mix butter, potatoes, sugar and evaporated milk until well blended. Add vanilla, eggs, and cinnamon; mix well. Pour into the prepared pie shells. Bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour, until set.
Makes 2 pies.

tdybear1978 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 10

thank you so much for responding

KKC Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 10

Ur welcome! U know can taste the batter before baking and if u think it needs more flavoring u can add more. Sometimes if I want to be a little risky I add some cinnamon glazed pecans on top to make a sweet potato pecan pie. Let me know how it turns out for you!

tdybear1978 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 10

I personally would never eat sweet potato pie LOL but I have one customer who ordered about 12 from me last year and I always just pulled up the recipe on here and now it has just disappeared. Thank you for your recipe, I will definatley try it out

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 10

My recipe is pretty similar (although I generally just eyeball it so I don't know the measurements lol), except that I brown sugar and bourbon instead of white sugar and lemon extract lol. I usually top mine with pecans as well.

KKC Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

My recipe is pretty similar (although I generally just eyeball it so I don't know the measurements lol), except that I brown sugar and bourbon instead of white sugar and lemon extract lol. I usually top mine with pecans as well.

I hear ya! The only reason I have the accurate measurements is because its an old recipe my granny had written down. icon_wink.gif I usually do it to taste, I love the nutmeg & cinnamon taste. Have you ever tried a Sweet Potato Praline Cheesecake? It tastes just like a sweet potato pecan pie Yumm-O!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #8 of 10

"Have you ever tried a Sweet Potato Praline Cheesecake? It tastes just like a sweet potato pecan pie Yumm-O!"

Do you have a recipe & are willing to share??

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #9 of 10

Did someone say sweet potato cheese cake? Yum-O! Ok Kivia give up the recipe lol. Sounds devine. I always do my pies by taste. I dont really measure anything. Sorry I couldnt help.

KKC Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #10 of 10

I got this recipe from House of Blues restaurant...Its a lot of steps but the end results are worth it!!!

For the crust:
1-1/2 cups finely ground ginger cookie crumbs
3/4 cup toasted pecans, ground
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
8 ounces cream cheese or Mascarpone cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup puréed sweet potato (or yam; the orange kind, not the yellow kind)
5 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream

For the praline sauce:
8 ounces unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans

In a large mixing bowl, mix the ground pecans and cookie crumbs; add the melted butter and mix well. To form the crust, press the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In a mixer, beat the cream or Mascarpone cheese until smooth, then add the sugars and spices and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the sweet potato purée and mix until just blended. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping bowl after each egg. Stir in heavy cream at low speed until completely blended.

Pour the filling into into the pan. Put the pan into a 1 to 1/2 inch bain marie, or warm water bath (it's a good idea to wrap the bottom and sides of the springform pan to prevent water from leaking in.) Cook the cheesecake in the bain marie for 50 minutes at 350°F.

Cool the cheesecake at room temperature for 45 minutes. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

While the cheesecake is cooling, make the praline sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the brown sugar, cream and pecans. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Keep warm.

To serve, place each serving a slice of pie onto a dessert plate, then spoon a pool of warm praline sauce over and around each serving. Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream, and garnish with a sprig of mint.

YIELD: 8 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%