Any Good Veggie Recipes??

Lounge By SweetArt Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 1:33am by SweetArt

SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 9

I have a few good veggie recipes that we like, but I'm getting tired of them. I'm looking for some great veggie recipes to serve with meals. Ideally they are just veggies with a few ingredients, and not casseroles. I know veggie casseroles are good too, but they are too large for our family. Some of the ones we like are squash sprinkled with cheese, garlic green beans, buttered cauliflower or corn, etc. Any body have veggie recipes they love and would share? Thanks!!

8 replies
Amia Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 9

I make an asparagus dish that is really good. I cook the asparagus, line them up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and put lots of parmesan cheese on top. Then bake until the cheese has melted.

DH also loves haricots verts. I blanch them in water then put lots of butter.

My sauteed mushrooms are good too. I buy the sliced mushrooms and saute them in lots of butter and marsala wine. I normally hate mushrooms, but they are soooo good this way.

Other than those, we usually eat mashed potatoes with cheese, baked sweet potatoes with butter and a little brown sugar and cinnamon, or a big salad.

dinas27 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 9

Broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce
Tomato salad with lime, brown sugar, olive oil vinegrette
green beans with cashews

twice baked cauliflower (this recipe serves 6 but easily cut in half)
1 large head cauliflower
4 oz low fat cream cheese
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c sliced green onions
1/4 c grated parm
6 slices bacon
1 c cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Cook cut up cauliflower until tender. Drain and mash leaving some chunks. Add all but cheddar and mix, then spread in 8x8 glass casserole. Sprinkle with cheddar and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 min.

I usually leave out the bacon and parm. Also just good mashed and not baked with the cheese.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 9

Do you like zuchinni? I take a couple of strips of bacon and cut them up and put that in a pan and let them crisp up. After they do I pull them out of the pan and then cook sliced onion, yellow/summer squash and zuchinni in the little bit of fat in the pan with a little salt and pepper. When they are tender I add in the bacon then serve.

michellenj Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 9

My family loves oven roasted carrots.

sadiepix Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 9

Mmmm yes...any roasted veggie. Beets, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini and squash of all types, summer and fall

Rataouille, which is even better the second day if it does not get finished, and there are versions out there that do it all in one pan if you prefer that to the step-by step of some recipes.
For a super quick version just layer the veggies with salt, pepper and spices and then pour over a can of tomatoes. Bake til done.

I second TexasSugar's bacon and zuch. YUM! Good to toss some spinach leaves in at the end of cooking for a nice wilt. Yum.

I don't know if you are feeding kids/picky people though...icon_smile.gif

Lightly saute some cabbage with butter, salt and pepper.

Toss fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and some good mozzarella cheese with olive oil and vinegar, or a nice Italian dressing for a cold side. Good over lettuce also, or with bread.

Dice some avocado and tomato, add blanched corn kernals, dress with olive oil, lime juice, red onion and herbs of choice (cilantro, mint etc.)

Do fresh veggie sticks with tzatziki or other dip.

Stuffed peppers--fill with rice and/or cheeses and herbs and even more veggies.

Curries are fun ways to eat veggies--my fave is curried cauliflower with chickpeas and tomatoes.

I like putting sauteed and chilled veggies in couscous or rice to make a salad with a light dressing.

Green beans with chili sauce is good, and simmering in that can take the toughness from older beans you need to use up.

If you google vegetable side dishes, or vegetarian sides, you will get tons of good ones. Check out allrecipes , recipesource, recipezaar, epicurious, seriouseats, etc.

Roll thin slices of eggplant around other veggies or cheese and top with tomato sauce and bake til tender.

Mmmm veggies! You can tell I am drooling with all the in-season veggies out right now. Yay for August.

Hope you find some new fun things to serve...I know my parents thought a veggies side was either
canned green beans, plain
frozen corn, plain
mixed veggies from frozen
carrot sticks.
It was very sad. icon_smile.gif

Happy cooking!

mkolmar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 9

Now this is my kind of subject.

K2cakes has a good recipe for oven roasted broc. with garlic.

I like to take red skinned potatoes quartered and toss with some olive oil, cracked black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Toss in the oven and cook until it starts to get crispy around the potato and is nice and golden.

I saute a lot. Usually I saute yellow and green squash that's been sliced with garlic, salt and pepper and sometimes I add mushrooms.

Grilled corn on the cob with a cilantro and italian cheese butter that I made up earlier. Just take a softened amount of butter and add however much cheese and herbs you like to mix in.

I take portabella mushrooms that I've cleaned and put a little bit of olive oil with chopped sundried tomatoes with herbs and top with italian style cheese and bake for 7-15 minutes until they are done. You can even add cooked chicken or beef that's been sliced on top and make it a whole meal.

Sweet potatoes or acorn squash with sweetened brown sugar butter can be done in the oven or the microwave.

Smashed potatoes are really easy because you don't peel them. Just leave the skins on and cook as you normally would mashed potatoes.

check out They have a ton of ideas on there also.

sadiepix Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 9

If you like the italian butter on your corn, can I ask if you have tried queso fresco? I have never wanted anything but butter on my corn on the cob, but this made me a believer! (With some lime and pepper.)

I will have to try it your way too! I bet some fresh parmesan and crushed red pepper would be great in the butter...yummy. Thanks.

SweetArt Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #9 of 9

These sound wonderful, thanks. Such great ideas. I have searched cooking/recipe sites, but was finding too many that were baked in 9x13 casserole dishes and were just too large. I do have 3 small kids to feed, but the 3 of them eat the equivalent to just 1 adult. These smaller veggie dishes are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%