Stacked Square Cake Experts Help

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm by jjkarm

notjustcake Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

So I have my 1st wedding cake in September I'll be making a 4 tier cake.
12, 10, 8, 6 My question is since all my square pans are Wilton's. I own 5" Fat Daddio's pans. I was thinking of buying all Fat Daddio's square pans. This is all my local supply store carries, because of their straight sides not like Wilton's slightly slanted. I really want to but they are very expensive!
Do you all think it would really make a difference on how the final products would look like? The guy at the supply stores swears it does. The squarecake in my photos are done using Wilton square pans so do my sheet cake. Also, this wedding cake will not have piped borders it would have ribbon.
Do I invest in the pans now, knowing I'll use them again and again or will my Wilton pans do just fine?

7 replies
karateka Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 8

You could bake in your Wilton pans and use a sharp knife to straighten out the sides. The "budget" route.

Most of the time, though, I am an advocate of buying good equipment because you'll have it forever. And if you anticipate needing square pans again, the investment might well be worth it.

dustyrusty47 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

Hi -I got a really good deal on a set of Fat Daddio pans on the Global Sugar Art site. Sugarcraft also carries them and they are often on sale. Good luck with your first cake.!

sweetkake Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcake

So I have my 1st wedding cake in September I'll be making a 4 tier cake.
12, 10, 8, 6 My question is since all my square pans are Wilton's. I own 5" 's pans. I was thinking of buying all 's square pans. This is all my local supply store carries, because of their straight sides not like Wilton's slightly slanted. I really want to but they are very expensive!
Do you all think it would really make a difference on how the final products would look like? The guy at the supply stores swears it does. The squarecake in my photos are done using Wilton square pans so do my sheet cake. Also, this wedding cake will not have piped borders it would have ribbon.
Do I invest in the pans now, knowing I'll use them again and again or will my Wilton pans do just fine?

Hi, this is Sweetkakes. I bet you could go on ebay and find a really good deal while there is still time. I've gotten many pans there. What a blessing that's been financially.

notjustcake Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 8

thank you all

tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

Magic Line pans IMO are the best. With Fat Daddio you have to reduce the temp. to keep from having problems with them. If you do a search there is a thread about them.

jules1719 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

I use Fat Daddios all the time with no temp adjustment ever. Except for the largest tiers, but that has nothing to do with the make of the pans.

Stacked square cakes require more precision in general. I would trim 1/4 " from all sides regardless of the pan manufacturer to ensure crisp corners. Barring this, I would jettison the Wilton pans. I'm not a fan of Wilton products and the sloped sides they call "straight" drive me bananas. But I digress.

jjkarm Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 8

I think people have their favorite pans for different reasons. I bought Fat Daddio's pans and I love them!! Partially because they are soooo easy to keep clean. I'm also very pleased with their square shape and the way the cake comes out of the pan. I bake at 325, always use baking strips and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. So it probably depends on what's most important to you to help you decide which pans to buy.... icon_wink.gif

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%