Monogram Cake Topper

Decorating By klynne Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm by cakebaker1957

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 5

I have a friend wanting a small three tiered cake for her grand-daughters birthday with her initials (stand up monogram) on the top layer. How/what would I use to make these?? Anyones help would be greatly appreciated,,,,cake is due Saturday 6pm. Thanks!!

4 replies
cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 5

You could either buy ready made letters, they are made from metal, wood, whatever. If you want to make them you could use royal icing, candy melts, or gumpaste. There are probably more ways, but those are the ones I have used. If you have some letter cutters you can use gumpaste, or stencil them and cut out with a sharp knife. Glue them to wires with royal icing or water. Or you can pipe royal icing, I use a paper I have printed out with the font and size I need to help guide me and tape wax paper over it, pipe on top of that and let it dry. Then you can glue to wires with more royal, and paint with luster dusts if you want. Basically do the same thing with the candy melts. Hope that helps.

klynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klynne Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you soooo much!!! Which do you suggest as the easiest for a first timer in doing this??

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

If you have letter cutters then the easiest would be the gumpaste. If not, then the royal icing may be the easiest to work with. Just make lots of extras because some of them will break. If you have any more questions, just ask, or you can PM me. Good luck!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 5

You could do it out of fondant, you could roll it out and take the edible magic markers and write on the fondant then take and cut them out then insert wire into the bottoms i did #'s for a Birthday cake and it was fine just make sure you use 21 gauge wire its stiffer and wont bend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%